a degree-level qualification

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by seitt, Oct 26, 2013.

1. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Greetings

Please, how can I say, “I have a degree-level qualification in Modern Greek”?

What I mean by this is that when I was working as a translator, I took and passed an exam which wasn't a university degree in itself, but which was accepted as the equivalent of a university degree.

Best wishes, and many thanks,

Simon

2. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    Hello,

I think: "Έχω πιστοποίηση επάρκειας στα νέα ελληνικά" or "έχω πιστοποίηση ελληνομάθειας". I am not sure though if it works for working as a translator.
    (If I "Έχω επάρκεια στα αγγλικά", I have the right to teach English (after successful exams in a high level) even if I have not got a university degree in English.)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  3. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    Hi seitt,

something like έχω προσόντα πτυχιακού επιπέδου στη νέα ελληνική γλώσσα would also work fine.

4. Perseas Senior Member

Athens - GR
    Greek
    Here I 'd like to clarify this: by saying "έχω πιστοποίηση σε κάτι", it means that you have an official paper that certifies your qualifications, whereas if you say "έχω προσόντα σε κάτι", you may have the qualifications but it is unclear if you also have the official document to certify them.

5. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks to you both - after weighing up what you say carefully, may I suggest the following?
    Εχω πιστοποίηση πτυχιακού επιπέδου στη νέα ελληνική γλώσσα.

6. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    That's one option, seitt. Another way of expressing it would be "Έχω πιστοποιημένα προσόντα πτυχιακού επιπέδου......". Bear in mind though-as you no doubt are aware-that the terms πιστοποίηση/πιστοποιημένα suggest that your qualifications are accredited.

7. seitt Senior Member

Turkey
    English/Welsh
    Many thanks – let me explain a bit: what I have in mind is my Foreign Office Higher in Greek. Although it is generally recognized as a degree equivalent, this is not actually something official, so perhaps:
    Εχω δίπλωμα πτυχιακού επιπέδου στη νέα ελληνική γλώσσα.