A diferencia de...

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by dannae00, Feb 16, 2005.

1. dannae00

dannae00 Senior Member

U.K.
    Spain - Spanish
    Hola! como se dice !"a diferencia de" en inglés?

Unlikely es improbable, pero se puede usar?

2. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    hola;
    a diferencia de in english is "in contrast to"
    n 1: the opposition or dissimilarity of things that are compared; "in contrast to", "by contrast" [syn: direct contrast] 2: the act of distinguishing by comparing differences 3: a conceptual separation or demarcation; "there is a narrow line between sanity and insanity" [syn: line, dividing line, demarcation] 4: the perceptual effect of the juxtaposition of very different colors 5: the range of optical density and tone on a photographic negative or print (or the extent to which adjacent areas on a television screen differ in brightness) v 1: put in opposition to show or emphasize differences; "The middle school teacher contrasted her best student's work with that of her weakest student" 2: to show differences when compared; be different; "the students contrast considerably in their artistic abilities" [syn: counterpoint]

hope this helps
    te gato;)
    feel free to correct

3. dannae00

dannae00 Senior Member

U.K.
    Spain - Spanish
    Gracias Te Gato! I Was Becoming Crazy Looking For The Correct Translation.

4. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    You are very welcome!!
    te gato;)

5. Chaucer Senior Member

US inglés/español
    Unlike (no unlikely) se puede usar.

¿en contraste a = a diferencia de?

6. dannae00

dannae00 Senior Member

U.K.
    Spain - Spanish
    Ahhhhhhh! Unlike es la que buscaba!
    Si en contraste y a diferencia son intercambiables, almenos en español.

7. jold2002 Junior Member

Spanish
    How could I say?

A diferencia de otros modelos, este presenta

8. julian_lp Senior Member

La plata Argentina
    Spanish - Argentina
    Solo un intento:
    Contrarily to other models, this has ....

9. Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos Senior Member

USA
    Afghanistan/USA
    Unlike other models....

Bien

10. moirag Senior Member

Spain
    English, England
    I´d also say "unlike".

11. salks New Member

Jamaica
    English
    you could also say "As opposed to other models, this presents"

12. fran.tampa Senior Member

Tampa (FL)
    Spanish
    Hola amigos, quiero traducir la siguiente frase:

'Con respecto al consumo durante los fines de semana, observamos que el sabado correspondiente a la primera semana tiene consumo a diferencia del pertenecienter a la segunda semana.

My guess:

Regarding the consumption on weekends, we notice that the Saturday belonging to the first week has consumption unlike the Saturday belonging to the second week.

Any sugegstion??

Thanks in advance

13. Basenjigirl Senior Member

English, USA
    Regarding the weekend consumption, we noticed that it was highest the first Saturday of the month.

14. fuzzzylogix

fuzzzylogix Senior Member

madrid
    aspacameur/english 1st, spanish 2nd
    regarding weekend consumption trends, we notice that consumption on the first saturday of the month differs from that of the second saturday...

15. Pey Senior Member

Rosario - Argentina
    Argentina (spanish)
    Concerning the weekend consumption issues ?

16. clarig Senior Member

spanish - Argentina
    Hola a todos! estoy traduciendo al inglés y no estoy muy segura de mi versión...
    El original dice así:
    "No hay cargos extra por contar con nuestros servicios. A diferencia de nuestros competidores, nuestro asesoramiento está incluido en nuestros honorarios profesionales"

Esta es mi traducción:
    "We do not charge extra costs for our services. Unlike our competitors, our assesment is included in our professional fees"

Me ayudan a mejorar mi versión por favor?
    Muchas gracias
    Clarig

17. bondia

bondia Senior Member

Illes Balears
    English-England
    Unlike our competitors, our advisory service is included...
    Saludos

18. Metzaka

Metzaka Senior Member

Oz
    "Mexican Spanish"
    Saludos

19. VicLeaFer Junior Member

Spanish
    Preciso traducir dicha expresión: está inmersa en la frase en español así: "a diferencia de las Estructuras Twist para N, el álgebra que se usa es..."

20. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    Spanish-Navarre
    Unlike...

21. chicanul Senior Member

SoCal
    english/spanish
    or "in contrast to"...

22. Heredianista

Heredianista Senior Member

Austin, Texas
    English - USA
    I'm with Metzaka: "no hidden charges" is an extremely common phrase in marketing and advertising copy in English. For example:
    I might write one of the following:
    • "We offer our services with no hidden charges."
    • "There are no hidden charges involved in using our services."
    • "There are no hidden charges when you rely on our services."

There is one WR thread on “hidden charges” (Spanish to English).

Saludos,
    H.

23. Heredianista

Austin, Texas
    English - USA
    Grammatically, you cannot write "Unlike our competitors, our advisory service...", because that sentence compares competitors to a service. It means, effectively, "our service is different from our competitors", which makes no sense. The intended meaning of the text, presumably, is "our service is different from our competitors' services".

I understand that the original Spanish text does compare "competitors" with "service", as if they were in the same category. Is this is a grammatical error in Spanish, as it is in English? I imagine it is.

Here's a reference for the rule in English:
    Items in a comparison should be from the same category.
    Wrong Example: Unlike the stories of Jacob and Joseph, it is hard to tell from reading Exodus what kind of man Moses was.
    (What is "unlike the stories of Jacob and Joseph"--"it"?)
    Is it a mistake to correct a grammatical error that exists in an original text?

If there is a grammatical error (like a dangling participle) in the original text, should a professional translator translate it into the same grammatical error in the target language, or correct it? Does it depend on who you are translating for, or in what context? Or just whether or not you have agreed to correct grammatical errors?
    As a simultaneous criminal court interpreter, I was obligated at times to scream vulgar profanities at the Judge in open court, because I was required, in that role, not to alter any aspect of any statement I was interpreting. But that is a different field.

In any case, if you want a grammatically correct English translation, some options are:
    • "Unlike our competitors, we..."
    • "In contrast to our competitors' services, our service..."
    • "Unlike the services our competitors offer, our service..."

24. Heredianista

Austin, Texas
    English - USA
    "Advisory service" is a rather uncommon term employed only in certain professional contexts, to my knowledge. (For what it's worth, I've never read about an advisory service, seen one advertised, or heard one mentioned.)

It may be the perfect word for this translation. There is no way to know without knowing what kind of services this company offers.

But, depending on what kind of company it is, the appropriate translation may be something else. Some possibilities (out of many more, I imagine) might be:
    – "consulting services"
    – "customer support"
    – "service support"

You might refer to "consulting services (asesoramiento)" at
    http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=980735

Without knowing the context, here are some efforts to convey how the issues in the original text might be addressed in English:

"No hay cargos extra por contar con nuestros servicios. A diferencia de nuestros competidores, nuestro asesoramiento está incluido en nuestros honorarios profesionales."

"There are no hidden charges involved in using our services. Unlike our competitors, we do not charge extra for our consulting services; they are included in the price of our service contract."

"Unlike our competitors, we offer services with no hidden charges. We provide consulting services at no extra charge."

"Our services come with no hidden charges. While our competitors charge extra for consulting services, our consulting services are included in our service fee."

"Our services include no hidden charges. Unlike our competitors, we provide consulting services at no extra cost."

I think I like the last one best.

Cheers,
    H.