A fair amount of time

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by rahelutza, Dec 19, 2007.

1. rahelutza New Member

Romania/Romanian
    Could someone help me translate this: "He spent a fair amount of time learning about..." ? I thought about "Il a passé assez de temps étudiant/en apprenant ..." but it sounds a bit forced to me to say "assez". Thank you in advance!

2. Tresley

Tresley Senior Member

Yorkshire / United Kingdom
    British English
    Hello Rahelutza,

How about:

'pas mal de temps'

I hope this helps

3. rahelutza New Member

Romania/Romanian
    Thank you:) that would be very good in general, but I actually need to use the phrase in a more official document. I guess I should have mentioned that. However, thank you for the VERY quick answer:)

4. le chat noir

le chat noir Senior Member

Paris, France
    French (by birth!), some English, a bit of Russian and traces of German
    I suggest: "Il a passé un temps considérable..."

5. Broff Senior Member

Maryland
    French
    Il a consacré beaucoup de temps à étudier...

6. rahelutza New Member

Romania/Romanian
    Thank you all. Chat noir, that's what I was looking for, but Broff, yours is really delicate and elegantly phrased. I will remember that:)

7. Tresley

Tresley Senior Member

Yorkshire / United Kingdom
    British English
    Ah! In a higher register? Then, I would mix Broff's and Le Chat Noir's replies and say:

"Il a consacré un temps considérable à ...

8. rahelutza New Member

Romania/Romanian
    heheh, the comments were all useful (starting with yours...both!) but the word consacré made a strong impression on me as I read it in the context:p I guess it was just my preference, not necessarily the one pertaining to the "higher register":p Nice mix;)