1. roseytrebles Senior Member

United States, English
    Hi everyone,
    I'm translating a text from the 19th century that uses the phrase "a fit of ambition"--here:

" 'My friend, I still want to be a gentleman, and to be accepted as such,' the visitor began in a fit of some sort of purely spongerish, good-natured, and already-yielding ambition."

It's kind of a tricky sentence in more ways than one, sadly for me, but for the word "fit" in particular I wasn't really sure...would "un esprit" work, perhaps?

Thanks for reading!

2. Moon Palace

Moon Palace Senior Member

Lyon
    French
    Hello roseytrebles,

Could you please provide your attempt at translation? It is the custom on the forum, and it will help us identify what your problem is exactly, and then we'll be better able to help you. :)

Thanks,
    Moon Palace

3. roseytrebles Senior Member

United States, English
    Okay, sure--the particular problem I was asking about was just the correct word for the word "fit," and since I was thinking maybe "esprit" here is what I have right now, for better or worse:

« Mon ami, j’ai toujours envie d’être un gentilhomme, et d’être reçu à ce titre, le visiteur commença dans l’espirt de quelque ambition agréable, déjà défaillante, et purement d’un pique-assiette. »

4. bh7 Senior Member

Limestone City
    Canada; English
    un sursault/un accès d'ambition ??