1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

"a fourth/third time" or "the fourth/third time"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by changwecanbelievein, Nov 28, 2012.

1. changwecanbelievein Senior Member

Mainland China
    Chinese
    Examples:

1 He has tried three times and he wants to try a fourth time.
    2 He has tried three times and he wants to try the fourth time.

3 He has tried twice and he wants to try a third time.
    4 He has tried twice and he wants to try the third time.
    5 He has tried once and he wants to try a second time.
    6 He has tried once and he wants to try the second time.

Could you tell me which ones are correct besides No.5? Only No.5 I'm sure it's correct because "a second"="again". Thanks!

2. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    If you're sure that 5 is correct, why would you think that 1 and 3 might not be?

You've given us no idea of your thought process or your specific concern(s). Until you do, it's just proofreading – which we don't do.

3. changwecanbelievein Senior Member

Mainland China
    Chinese
    Thanks for concern.

It's not proofreading but my thoughts. My problem is I don't know whether 1,2,3,4.6 are correct, especially 2,4,6. I don't know whether there is a usage such "a second=agian" here.
    I've said what I know. Now I am asking what I don't know.

4. Franco-filly Senior Member

Southern England
    English - Southern England
    1, 3 and5 are correct - using "a". "A xx time" means "again" in all the sentences.

You could use "the" to refer to a specific attempt once it had taken place. i.e. He tried three times without success but succeeded at the fourth attempt.

5. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    It's proofreading.

You say here that "I don't know whether there is a usage such "a second=agian" here."

But in your original post, you say that "I'm sure it's correct because "a second"="again"."

These opposite statements have made understanding any question you may have very confusing.

6. changwecanbelievein Senior Member

Mainland China
    Chinese
    Okay...

There is something contradictory that I haven't noticed in my speech, but believe me that I haven't tried to ask for help about proofreading. I know the gudielines clearly.

7. changwecanbelievein Senior Member

Mainland China
    Chinese
    After reading your explanations and example now I know the difference. Thanks a second time:)

8. screenactorsguild Senior Member

Vietnam
    Vietnamese
    How about this sentence :
    " I have asked him twice. Shall I ask him ...........(the third, third , one third , a third) time?
    I chose the first one => wrong as my teacher's opinion
    => a third time
    => why?

9. Franco-filly Senior Member

Southern England
    English - Southern England
    You do something once and then you can do it a second time, a third time,....a hundredth time!
    I think we use "the" when speaking of a particular instance, for example "I kept repeating it and on the third time he heard me properly"