1. Liam_Barcelona New Member

Ghana
    English
    Hi There,

Does anyone know the spanish translation of "a golpe de Gaita". From what I can gather it may have something to do with Bagpipes!

Thanks a lot

Liam

2. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    "Gaita" with a lower-case "g" is bagpipe, but with a capital letter it may be a place or a person. The translation of "a golpe" depends on the context.

3. Liam_Barcelona New Member

Ghana
    English
    Hi Sprachliebhaber,

Thanks very much for posting a reply so quickly!

Yes, this has something to do with bagpipes,... as it transpires I am translating a text about a "folk festival" and the colloquial translation of "a golpe de" is really what I am stuck on, especially when linked to bagpipes!

Yours

Liam

4. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    Maybe to the accompaniment of bagpipes, (to do something) upon the playing of the bagpipes/when the bagpipes start to play. The rest of the sentence should give you some idea what they are talking about.

5. Liam_Barcelona New Member

Ghana
    English
    Hi Sprachliebhaber,

Wow,.. that was speedy!

The phrase "A golpe de gaita" is actually the title of the piece, I have it translated as "Around Bagpipes" or "About Bagpipes"... any ideas?

Thanks

Liam

6. Sprachliebhaber Senior Member

USA English
    Maybe "to the rhythm/sound of the bagpipe".

7. bi_lin_gual Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    Spanish (Uruguay)
    I agree with Sprachliebhaber, "to the rhythm of the bagpipe" sounds like a winner

8. Liam_Barcelona New Member

Ghana
    English
    That sounds perfect, thanks very much!!

9. LouZoo

LouZoo Senior Member

Colombia Spanish
    This comes a little late, but I just saw this while searching for the English word for "gaita". A "gaita" in Colombia is not a bagpipe. it is a wooden musical instrument, that looks like a flute, traditional from the indians. "A golpe de gaita" means "at the beat of the gaita" (I still have to search for that word).

10. LouZoo

LouZoo Senior Member

Colombia Spanish
    I also found this . . . it seems that it is called the gaita in English, too!

In 2006, Smithsonian Folkways released Un Fuego de Sangre Pura to celebrate unadulterated gaitero, which is performed with three drums, maracas, and two gaitas, the tradition wooden flute from the region. ~ Marisa Brown, Rovi