A happy New Year full of success, love, health, wealth and joy

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by just a normal guy, Dec 9, 2009.

1. just a normal guy Senior Member

Hebrew
    Hey everyone,

2010 is about to arrive and I'd like to help me translating some sentences into Russian. This is for my neighbour and her mother who have recently moved to live next to me.

Dear Oksana and Yelena,

In honor of the new year 2010 I wish you a happy new year, full of succes, love, health, wealth and joy.
    May god bring you all the best,
    Harry.

(you may add whatever you want)

If there's a more colloquial version it would be fine too.

Thanks a lot. JANG.

2. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    I think you are supposed to either ask a specific question or provide your own attempt of translation...

3. just a normal guy Senior Member

Hebrew
    well, I really don't speak russian, not to mention the fact that I can't read nor write.
    It's only a couple of sentences, I don't think it's too much to ask.

BTW, if what you said is right then where does this thread belong to ?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  4. cyanista

cyanista законодательница мод

NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    Dear just a normal guy,

our rule 5 says that forum members are expected to ask specific questions about words or phrases. The reason for that is to prevent abuse of the forum by students and translators wishing to have their work done by helpful native speakers (or by curious chatboard readers posting whole dialogues for translation).

But we do tend to allow small translations for greeting cards or similar provided that:

a) the thread starter's goals are clearly unselfish;
    b) the thread starter has no or very little knowledge of the language and no intention to misrepresent own abilities.

Actually, I think it might be wise to create a special sticky for the Christmas/New Year period as you are surely not the last one to ask a similar question. :) The Russian forum is growing more popular so maybe the time has come....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  5. cyanista

cyanista законодательница мод

NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    My attempt:

Дорогие Оксана и Елена!

В преддверии наступающего 2010 года я желаю Вам счастливого Нового года, полного успехов, любви, здоровья, богатства и радости.

Пусть Бог ниспошлет Вам все наилучшее!

Гарри.

6. just a normal guy Senior Member

Hebrew
    Hey cyanista,

Considering the fact that this is a RUSSIAN forum, I thought it would be absolutely natural to ask it here, since no other forum deals with the Russian language.
    After reading your commen and rereading my first comment, I truly believe that both conditions A and B are provided.

I will really appriciate if your idea of creating a "Happy new year" thread comes true.

-----------
    2nd edit:
    Thank you a lot !