a host of / a barrage of / a string of

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by franmadrid, May 25, 2008.

1. franmadrid Senior Member

MADRID
    spanish madrid
    Hi everybody,
    I know you can use these three expressions meaning "a lot of". But I´d like to know which one would be the most emphatic, and which one the least.
    Also, which do you consider more common? Br and Am English are welcome!!!
    And the last question, which is the best to use in a pejorative way?

Thanks in advance!
    Don´t hesitate to correct my English please!:)

2. mlagrl

mlagrl Senior Member

English, USA
    Hi everybody,
    I know you can use these three expressions meaning to mean"a lot of". But I´d like to know which one would be the most emphatic, and which one the least.
    Also, which do you consider more common? Br and Am English are welcome!!!
    And the last question, which is the best to use in a pejorative way?

Hi franmadrid:
    I would use these in very different ways, depending on the context. For example, "a barrage of" is an expression that (I believe) is used literally in war. "A barrage of bullets." It has a negative connotation, and is usually used in statements like, "a barrage of bad news about oil prices have affected the stock market." A barrage is a lot of things coming all at once (like bullets in a battle).

"A string of" is most often used negatively (but can also be used positively) and it keeps its literal meaning in that it means "one after the other." "After a string of failures, no one would give the director any more money to make another film." OR "After a string of legal troubles, the company found that its image had been damaged.

"A host of" can be used negatively or positively. "Apple adds a host of new features to its new operating system" or "The country's political leaders face a host of legitimacy problems."

Hope this helps! Other native speakers will have differing opinions, I am sure!

3. franmadrid Senior Member

MADRID
    spanish madrid
    Thank you so much mlagrl, I was beginning to think my question was too boring...:(
    So, should I conclude from your answer that "a barrage of" is the most emphatic expression?

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  4. mlagrl

mlagrl Senior Member

English, USA
    Yes, definitely the most emphatic and with the most consistently negative meaning. However, it would depend on what you wanted to say -- it does have to mean "things coming all at once" to make sense. For example, you could never say, "a barrage of books" to mean "a lot of books" unless someone was throwing them at you!

5. franmadrid Senior Member

MADRID
    spanish madrid
    Thank you again, you´ve been so helpful!!
    :)

6. mlagrl

mlagrl Senior Member

English, USA
    It is my pleasure!