1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

"A little hot java for two and two lumberjack specials."

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Arzhela, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Arzhela

Arzhela Senior Member

France
    French
    Hi everybody,
    Could someone explain to me what this order mean please ? This is a client's order adressing to a waitress in a pub ! "hot java" seems to be "hot coffee" (?)... but I'm not sure and I don't understand what is "lumberjack" here ...
    Thanks for your help !

2. Sallyb36

Sallyb36 Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    British UK
    hot java is coffee, and a lumberjack is a person who works cutting down trees, so would require something filling to eat due to very physical work. A lumberjack special would be a special set meal that was very substantial and filling I would imagine.

3. Arzhela

Arzhela Senior Member

France
    French
    Thank you Sally !

4. Sallyb36

Sallyb36 Senior Member

Liverpool UK
    British UK
    You're welcome :)

5. Isa88

Isa88 Senior Member

spanish - Colombia
    specials... with s?

6. Arzhela

Arzhela Senior Member

France
    French
    Yes Isa :)

7. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Jerusalem
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Hi Arzhela,

Is this set in the US? In that case, it would probably be a roadside diner or a coffee shop, rather than a pub. Such places offer set meals with clever names. A "lumberjack special" would be a substantial American-style breakfast and would probably include something like "two eggs any style with choice of bacon, grilled ham or breakfast sausages; short stack of pancakes (that usually means 3 large pancakes), toast with butter and jelly". Oh dear... I miss American breakfasts!

8. Arzhela

Arzhela Senior Member

France
    French
    :):) You're right, this is a US coffee shop which offers such breakfasts ! :)

9. MissFit

MissFit Senior Member

That just sounds like an average special--we Americans love to over-eat. A lumberjack special would probably be three eggs, choice of two meats, some form of fried potatoes, a tall stack of pancakes (6 large ones), and Texas (extra thick) toast with jelly. Now that might keep a two-hundred pound fella who's all muscles from being hungry until lunch time. (All of a sudden, I'm hungry!)