1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

A lucky person

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by sakvaka, Oct 4, 2010.

1. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

Whenever someone is lucky in Finnish, we call him onnenpekka. Onnen is the genitive singular of onni (luck) and Pekka is a common Finnish male name. So: Luck's Pekka

In Swedish, they use another phrase - lyckans ost (luck's cheese :D).

I've heard that the Americans can apply a phrase like I'm a lucky dog. Is this true?

And how do you say it in other languages? Thanks in advance!

2. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In French, I don't think we have anything very colourful.
    Just:
    "Un chanceux" (from the noun "chance" = luck)
    "Un veinard" (from the noun / expression "(avoir de) la veine" = literally: (to have) luck = to be lucky). A bit more colloquial

3. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    In Portuguese: um sortudo (m.), uma sortuda (f.) (from sorte, luck).

4. Orlin Senior Member

София
    български
    Bulgarian: късметлия/kasmetliya (късмет=luck (Turkish origin) and modified Turkish suffix -li is added to it).

5. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:
    «Τυχεράκιας»
    (tiçe'racas masculine noun; used irrespective of sex).
    It's formed with the joining together of the adjective «τυχερός, -ή, ό*» (tiçe'ros masculine, tiçe'ri feminine, tiçe'ro neuter)-->lucky, fortunate, deriving from the Classical «τυχηρός*» (tŭxē'rŏs) with the same meaning + derogatory suffix «-άκιας» (-'acas)
    or
    the set expression «έχω τύχη* βουνό» ('exo 'tiçi vu'no) lit. "I've got luck [as big as] a mountain"

*Since ancient times «τύχη» ('tūxē feminine noun) described luck or the presiding tutelary deity that governed the fortune and prosperity of a city, goddess «Τύχη». From PIE base *dʰeugʰ-, to push, abut, touch (cognate with Ger. tüchtig)

6. ilocas2 Senior Member

Bohemia
    Czech
    Czech:

klikař (klika - luck - from German Glück)
    IMHO it's slightly old-fashioned

7. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Russian:
    счастливчик /stchastlivtchik/ - root meaning "happiness" + diminutive/endearment suffix
    везунчик /vezuntchik/ - root meaning "luck" + diminutive/endearment suffix

8. Frank78

Frank78 Senior Member

Saxony-Anhalt
    German
    In German we have: "der Glückspilz" (luck's mushroom).

9. Orlin Senior Member

София
    български
    Bulgarian: щастливец/shtastlivets.

10. ilocas2 Senior Member

Bohemia
    Czech
    In Czech there's also šťastlivec, I couldn't remember, and it's used more than klikař

11. Black4blue

Black4blue Senior Member

Türkiye
    Turkish/Türkçe
    That's cool. Even we don't use it much. It's an old word and doesn't mean luck exactly. We use just a simple word, şanslı. (lucky)

şans comes from chance or it's French version I guess. Don't say luck and chance are not the same. :D Cause they are the same word in Turkish.
    We can also say talih which means luck only. And then add the same suffix (-lı,-li,-lu,-lü) to it to make it mean lucky: talihli.

Oh, I've just remembered. When someone wins huge money, we say "başına talih kuşu kondu" (The luck bird sat on his/her head).

12. catlady60

catlady60 Senior Member

Pennsylvania (20mi/36km from the Poconos
    English-US (New York City)
    Yes it is! Americans also say He's/She's a lucky stiff, or he/she stepped in dog shit or stepped in it (at least in the New York area) when someone has, or had, a run of good luck.

13. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    We also say: "ballı" (lit. honey'ed). This is a little slang though.

14. Angelo di fuoco Senior Member

Germany
    Russian & German (GER) bilingual
    The words счастливчик & счастливец are related (the first is the diminutive of the second), but счастливчик is a tiny (or not so tiny, depending on the meaning the speaker gives it) bit derogatory and, although quite neutral, not a high-style word and not very suitable even for newspaper articles.

15. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    Mon dictionnaire dit aussi né coiffé - c'est très pittoresque, n'est-ce pas ?

16. mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog: Isang mapalad na Tao! *De pa Dumaget: E mapaled di Agta.

17. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    In the UK you say someone is really "jammy", with luck on their side, like they didn't do anything for a good action to happen.
    I found jobs almost instantly when travelling Oz, and my friend often described me to others as being "really jammy".
    Same thing when I didn't want to go bowling because I was too hungover and kept getting strikes without even trying.

But there are other ways, too.

18. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch (Belgium): gelukzak (luckbag, happinessbag)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  19. MaxJ Senior Member

Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
    Dutch- Netherlands
    Or in Dutch:

Geluksvogel which means Lucky Bird.

20. ilhermeneuta Senior Member

California, USA
    Mexican Spanish
    Similarly in Spanish we say: un suertudo (m.), una suertuda (f.).

21. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    Interesting! In Spanish from Venezuela, in colloquial we call a lucky person ''lechuo/a'' which literally means '' milky person'', and as far as I know, in Peru they use it too. But if you don't want to be colloquial, you just use ''suertudo/a'' as portuguese does.

22. ilhermeneuta Senior Member

California, USA
    Mexican Spanish
    Interesting indeed! I've heard that expression from Peruvians. In Mexico, however, I think we only use ''suertudo''. Sometimes ''afortunado'' can render the same meaning though.

23. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    I have heard more the word ''afortunado'' in Mexico, perhaps it depends on the region which one is the most used.

24. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    I apologize for quoting myself but I just remembered that in the casual spoken language (almost slang), the lucky person is «κωλόφαρδος, -η, -ο» (ko'lofarðos, m./ko'lofarði, f./ko'lofarðo, n.)--> lit. broad-assed. Compound; masculine noun «κώλος» ('kolos), which derives from the Classical one «κῶλον» ('kōlŏn, n.)--> init. any part of body, limb, later, the rectum, buttocks (PIE base *(s)kel-, to lean, bend, joint) + adj. «φαρδύς, -ιά, -ύ» (far'ðis, m./far'ðja, f./far'ði, n.)--> broad, large, wide.
    It's an ancient metaphor appearing for the first time in Aristophanes' play «Νεφέλαι» (The clouds); there Aristophanes describes the lucky person as being «εὐρύπρωκτος» (eu'rŭprōktŏs), which is a verbatim of the modern one «κωλόφαρδος».
    One often hears friends, when discussing someone's good fortune, expressing their surprise (or jealousy) with «τι φάρδος!» (ti 'farðos!) lit. "what a breadth!"

25. Nizo Senior Member

In Esperanto, a lucky person (Am.E. lucky duck, lucky dog) is a bonŝanculo.

26. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    Hungarian szerencsefia [szerencse luck fia son]
    Czeh: dítě Štěstěny [the same]

27. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    In Norwegian a lucky person can be called "en heldiggris" (a lucky pig).