1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

a nombre de quién debo hacer el cheque

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by tontolete, Feb 23, 2007.

1. tontolete Senior Member

América Latina
    Español
    Necesito enviar un cheque a alguien en los EE-UU pero debo preguntar a nombre de quién debo hacer el cheque. Cómo hago esa pregunta? Por favor, es urgente!!!.

Sé que debo tratar primero pero no tengo ni idea de como se dice.

to who I do/make the check?

Sé que es totalmente incorrecto, lo hice solo para seguir las reglas. Mi ingles no llega a tanto.

Gracias

tontolete

2. outkast Senior Member

English, USA
    Who do I make it out to?

3. Tegs

Tegs Mód ar líne

Wales
    English (Ireland), Welsh, Irish
    :tick:

4. Pablo de los EU Senior Member

English, US
    Yep. ¨Who do I make the check out to?¨

5. tontolete Senior Member

América Latina
    Español
    Gracias!!! gracias!!!!!

Me sacaron de un problema

Thank you!!!

tontolete

6. salvador_1_99

salvador_1_99 Senior Member

México
    México español
    Iba a hacer las preguntas: Por qué le agregan la palabra "out",¿ cual es la diferencia si solo pongo make sin out? pero acabo de encontrar el significado .... Make out (checking) significa "hacer y emitir"

Aquí dejo el link por si se ofrece: http://www.wordreference.com/es/translation.asp?tranword=makeout&dict=enes

7. gdmarcus Senior Member

California, USA
    English, USA
    Actually, just to clarify (for people learning English who may be confused by the use of "who" as an indirct object) to be grammatically correct (standard grammar) it should be "To whom should I make out the check?". But noone actually says that any more. "Who do I make the check out to" is common usage.

8. Marias-espanol

Marias-espanol Senior Member

Oklahoma
    USA-English
    Hola,
    I don't know why we "make a check out to someone", but it litterly means "to write a check to a specific person". If I were to write you a check, I would "make it out to Salvador" or put your name on the pay to the order of line.
    I hope this helps.
    María

9. outkast Senior Member

English, USA
    Make out (in this case): issue (expedir, emitir)

10. ghoti

ghoti Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    English USA
    You are right that "Who do I make the check out to" is the most common. But there are still enough of us old fossils out there who know and use "whom," so it's not accurate to say "no one" (still two words, btw) uses it. So harrumph. She said, pompously....

11. danielfranco

danielfranco Senior Member

Even worse: The awfully correct Standard English would probably be something like "To whom will this check be payable?"

Ewwww...

Ahem:
    "Who do I make out this check to?"
    Might as well.

12. ghoti

ghoti Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    English USA
    :eek: Ewwww indeed. Even Ghoti cringes.

13. gdmarcus Senior Member

California, USA
    English, USA
    I'm one of the "fossils", too. However, I feel I must put in some sort of disclaimer now when I present "proper" grammar, because I have been taken to task several times for using the term "proper" grammar. I have been told that it is now called "standard" and "non-standard" grammar...talk about politically correct -oops- standard.

Carry on, fellow fossil. By the way, I love your name, ghoti.

14. chilena12 Junior Member

Chile
    Chile - Spanish
    Hello everyone!
    Could this question work as well?

"Who do I issue the check to?"

Does it sound improper for your native ears? :)

Best!

15. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Not improper, just unusual and possibly a little ambiguous: it might be interpreted as "Who do I hand the cheque to?"

16. chilena12 Junior Member

Chile
    Chile - Spanish
    Thanks a lot!
    :)

17. AlliMagee Senior Member

Oregon
    English, USA
    Un comentario,

Se dice, "Who do I make the check out to?" y es lo más común.

Sin embargo, por si te sirve de algo, en realidad nos equivocamos gramaticamente. Se debe decir, "To whom should I issue/make out the check?" Desafortunadamente, suena raro para nuestro estilo informal de hablar y no creo que se diga a menos que sea un ensayo formal. O, ¿tal vez en Inglaterra?

18. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    I wouldn't say it and I don't think many of my compatriots would.