1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

A party animal

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Antonio, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Hi Group,

What does "A party animal" mean?

2. Monkling Junior Member

NY
    US - English
    Someone who likes to attend parties often, someone who likes to have fun, have a good time. Usually this partying involves drinking, at least in my experiences. (I am not a party animal, but I have certainly seen people who can be classified as such & they were usually quite drunk.)

3. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)
    Hey Antonio;
    It means that you like to have fun and party...
    te gato;)

4. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    is it a slang or informal term?? and who uses it (teenagers or adults or I don't know who else could it be:D )????

5. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Thanks for you answer, but "a party animal" can also be considered someone who likes to have sex all the time or not necessarily?

6. Monkling Junior Member

NY
    US - English
    I have never heard it used that way.

7. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hey Thomas1;
    It is slang..and it depends on who wants to use it..:D

te gato;)

8. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    I agree..I have never heard it used that way...in relation to sex...
    te gato;)

9. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    What do you call in English a man who likes to have sex all the time, perhaps a stud, a love machine ? or what name do you give to this type of man?

10. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hey Antonio;
    You can say both...they mean the same thing..but I would say stud is more used here...
    te gato;)

11. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    I remember one time, we were playing with the chairs, and one guy said to me "Wow, you're an animal" because he was taking care of the woman around; What he was trying to say so far? That I acted like an animal? animal is a rude why to call someone in English or not?

12. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    Hi Antonio, you must explain what you mean by this, playing with the chairs? What were you doing exactly??
    If someone calls you an animal, it is usually referring to your appetite for sex and that you constantly are on the "prowl", meaning that you are looking for women to date.
    English speakers tend to use animal references to describe a person's sexual personality.
    You're such an animal = this could mean someone is uncouth and doesn't have good manners when dealing with people. He talks with his mouth full and blows his nose on his sleeve. His car is filthy and he uses foul language.
    Do you get the idea?

13. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Thanks Jacinta, well you know that old game, were people go around the chairs and sits, and the people that don't sit right on time, after the music stops, looses their seats literally. I don't know what you called that game in English?

An animal has to do with sexual behavior or not necessarily? Is rude to say it, in front of people that you don't know? An animal in English, also mean a person who doesn't think or behave properly before he acts?

14. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hey Antonio;
    First off in English it is called Musical chairs....
    Yes...being called an animal has to do with sexual behavior...and I would not say it in front of people you do not know...'Oh Antonio you are such an animal.'...

And yes it also means that you are not acting properly...'Don't be such an animal.'..meaning don't be such an a**

te gato;)

15. marianna713 New Member

Ohio, United States
    United States, English
    Hi Antonio,

If someone calls you an animal, I don't think it is necessarily an insult. It depends on the tone. If a woman says to a man "You are such an animal" while enjoying herself, that would be a compliment. If she says the same phrase while calling security, it would be an insult, similar to calling someone a pig. With regard to the man who called you an animal, it seems like a compliment to me. The "wow" makes it sound as though he were in awe of your boldness or something, unless he was being sarcastic...

I think it would sound odd if a man were to refer to another man as a "love machine", though you could call him a stud, I suppose. The term that I hear the most is "player". A player is someone who sleeps with a lot of different people. Be aware that it suggests some dishonesty on his part.

I did a search on Google for "slang dictionary" and found several. You might like to look at one of those.

Marianna

16. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    ok, let me get this straight, an a** is "A stupid or foolish person" and I understood that is not considered to be a rude word in English, right? Now, what does "pig" mean?

I do agree with you Marianna that "animal" is an insult, but what kind of insult, is it good or bad? Is a swearword? Is an insult, when the person is not acting properly, he's loosing his mind, or in what situation is considered someone as an animal?

17. yolanda_van huyck Senior Member

CASTELLON, SPAIN
    SPAIN_SPANISH
    A party animal is... unbelievable, my 50 years old neighbour... While i'm 25 and supposed to party, i stay home earing all the noise, the laughs, the "strange noises", the music... my neighbour can't stop partying!
    If you come and see him, you'll now straight away what a "party animal" is!

regards

18. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Can someone please read through my previous post?

19. Monkling Junior Member

NY
    US - English
    yes
    I would consider it an insult, although if a friend said it in a joking manner, it would be okay.
    Generally the same as animal, although the word pig brings to mind a glutton more than anything else.

Rude but not a swearword. An example: I go look at my kid's bedroom & there is stuff all over the place. I could say, "This room looks like an animal lives here."

20. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Yes, I agree with you, that pig means, someone who eats a lot. If their is another meaning missing for the word pig, please let me know. According to www.urbandictionary.com in definitions one and four an animal can be considered an excellent and savage player and a person who is very sexy, is that right?

21. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hey Antonio;
    Pig...eats a lot..
    or if a man is a chauvinist..always talking nasty about women..we tend to call him a pig...
    Yes you are correct about an animal...

te gato;)

22. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Thanks te gato, now can somebody please give me an example to understand the context for animal in both definitions, one that is a male very sexy and the other one who is an excellent player

23. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hey Antonio;
    You are welcome..
    Sports...
    'He hit four home runs in the baseball game today!'...'Yes I know, he was an animal out there.'
    Very sexy....
    'Antonio Banderas is such an animal.'...mmmm

te gato;)

24. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Thanks te gato, but what about the word Tiger, I understood that if someone is called Tiger , it means that he or she is an excellent player (sports) so, I assumed, that has the same meaning as Animal, right? If we're missing some meanings for the word Tiger, please let me know.

P.S. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tiger&r=f please look up in this slang dictionary, and tell me the ones, that people used normally in Spoken English.

25. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hey Antonio;
    Yes Tiger would mean the same as Animal...in the sporst term...
    I had heard of all of them except for two...
    I did not know that there was a beer called Tiger...and please do not ever refer to that part of a females body as a tiger...unless you wish to get smacked...
    What it is called here..I will PM you...

te gato;)

26. mjscott Senior Member

A tiger is usually positive--you must see that if you can see the avatars!

An animal can be made to be positive or negative.

They were acting like animals! It was really disgusting! (negative)
    (after suggesting something risque) Oh, lover-boy, you are such an animal! (positive)

Player (negative) You want to stay away from him. He's a player.
    Player (positive) He made two double-plays in the game today. He is such a good player!

A pig is never positive that I know of.

27. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Yes I agree..I have never heard of 'Pig' being positive...
    te gato;)

28. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    In my opininon there is no necessary connection between "party animal" and sex. :)

G

29. mjscott Senior Member

I agree with Gaer. It can mean that someone is very gregarious and enjoys a good party--that a social outing never fizzles when they are added to the mix.

30. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    Right. I think Antonia is thinking of someone who is both "party animal" and a "sex maniac". :D

Gaer

PS: I edited this after Te Gato found that I had written total gibberish. :)

31. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    gaer...
    Auhmmm...what does this in the red mean???and you are bugging me about putting 'never the less' as three words...:D

You were out parting last night...weren't you!!! You party animal!!!

te gato;)

32. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    YIKES! I went back and fixed it. My mind is working like a party animal who has been drinking too much, but I'm afraid I have all the bad symptoms without any of the fun. My fingers apparently have their own little brains and do as they wish. :)

G

33. te gato

te gato Senior Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Ohhhhh..so now it is your fingers that are the 'party animals'...:D

te gato;)

34. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    Perhaps my fingers have been drinking and I didn't know it? :)