a person who never keeps his promises

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by dec-sev, Jun 23, 2010.

1. dec-sev Senior Member

Sevastopo;
    Russian
    Hello.
    Is there a word in your language for a pesron who never/almost never keeps his promises? It can be a slang word or a formal one.
    I'm interested in answers in English, German, Spanish and Portuguese.
    Thanks in advance.

2. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Won't we call that person simply a 'liar', a disloyal person? The latter is not quite the correct word in my view, but... Don't they behave like weasels, who weasel out of their responsibilities? I see quite some words referring to persons eating up their word.

I came across a 'promise-breaker' on the internet, but that does not seem like a commmon word. But I feel sure there are quite some expressions describing that attitude: bite the hand that feeds you (though again: is that the same as what you mean ?).

3. dec-sev Senior Member

Sevastopo;
    Russian
    Well, I’m not sure. I can call a person who deliberately tell a lie a liar, but when someone is promising you something and at this moment he believes that he will fulfill his promise, but for some reasons he ends up not doing it,… well, roughly speaking he proves himself to be a liar, but “liar” is too “strong” here in my opinion.
    No. Imagine that something is wrong with you computer and you have a friend who works with computers. You explain the problem to him and ask him if he could look into it. He says: “Ah, man, no problem, I’ll drop in your place after work and resolve your problem in no time”, but he never comes. You call him and he says: “Sorry man, I had to work long hours yesterday. Let’s make Saturday”, but on Saturday he says: “I’m awfully sorry, but my cousin came to visit us. I had to show her round the city”, etc.

4. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    'Liar': I agree, but I think that the term will be justified if the person keeps giving/ finding reasons for breaking promises.

Hand-biting: ok, clear. I'd also call him unreliable, false. Is he a pretender (a person who pretends or makes false allegations) ? That seems too broad... But then: "One who fakes: fake, faker, humbug, impostor, mountebank, phony" ?

5. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    In Greek:
    [both formal adjectives]
    -«Αφερέγγυος, -α, -ο» (afe'reɲɟios m., afe'reɲɟia f., afe'reɲɟio n.); formed by the joining together of privative «α» (a) + adj. «φερέγγυος» (fe'reɲɟios=to be depended upon). A classical adjective «ἀφερέγγυος» (afe'reggŭos)-->he who does not provide «ἐγγύη» (ĕ'ggūē=surety).
    -«Αναξιόπιστος, -η, -ο» (anaksi'opistos m., anaksi'opisti f., anaksi'opisto n.); privative «αν» (an) + adj. «αξιόπιστος (aksi'opistos=trustworthy)-->untrustworthy; Hellenistic adjective «ἀναξιόπιστος» with the same meaning.

[ɲ] is a palatal nasal
    [ɟ] is a voiced palatal plosive

6. sakvaka

sakvaka Moderoitsija

Urbane Online Dictionary of Finnish found the words luikuri and, especially among youngsters, juudas. There may be better ones.

I think of luikuri as someone you can never trust. He feels slimy, dishonest, as if he enjoyed cheating and tricking other people.

Juudas is a guy who betrayed another guy a long time ago in Gethsemane, Jerusalem... :)

7. Milton Sand

Milton Sand Modómano, 'mano

Bucaramanga, Colombia
    Español (Colombia)
    Hi,
    In Spanish (LatAm), we call them "incumplido(a) (promise breaker; unreliable)." Colombian colloquial speech has some words for that, "calceto(a)" and "falso(a)"—less slangy; also meaning "hypocrite; untrustable; fake" in other contexts—. I can't remember any other now. Those are basically adjectives but, as usual, when refering to a person, you can use them as nouns.

Regards,
    ;)

8. dec-sev Senior Member

Sevastopo;
    Russian
    Me gusta "incumplido" :)
    Thanks for your variants, Thomas.

9. catlady60

catlady60 Senior Member

Pennsylvania (20mi/36km from the Poconos
    English-US (New York City)
    A person bite the hand that feeds him (or her) is betraying someone who treated you well. That's worse than a person who doesn't keep his or her promises as far as I'm concerned.

10. Volcano Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkey-Turkish
    In Turkish

Sözünde durmayan, you could also say yalancı - liar, dönek - changeable

11. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I quite agree, but I was trying to find things coming close... ;-)

12. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

*Tagalog:1.) Walang isang salita (without one word of honor) ,2.) Butog(making scenes by saying blabla words to cover up his/her errors)*Bisaya: 1.)Manikwas (Saying words against the person he/she victimized),2.)Hambog (same meaning as "Butog")

13. valenise New Member

English, Tagalog, French, Spanish
    I have a friend like this and every time I think of her, these words come to mind:
    1.) Flaky (slang)
    2.) Unreliable

14. Jamaisleño

Jamaisleño New Member

NYC
    English & Jamaican Creole
    Jamaican Creole: Jinal

15. mataripis

mataripis Senior Member

De pa Dumaget: e Butelan If used in grammar:1.) I hate liars because their reptilian attitudes won't change! ( Te bilos ok de butelan bege eyen mabowon on kaolopongan nide.) 2.) There are punishments for liars. (Te padosa de butelan)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011