1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

A person who receives a gift

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Soleildhiver, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Soleildhiver Senior Member

French \ Canada
    Hello ladies and gents,

Is there a word that defines a persons who receives a gift? I though of recipient but it sounds off. Reciever is boring. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Sol

2. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    Beneficiary, Awardee (but be aware that "giftee" historically meant the gift itself).

3. There's nothing 'off' with recipient. It's just fine.

​Rover

4. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    I agree with Rover; the person who receives a gift is the recipient. There is nothing remotely "off" about it at all; it is a standard, normal, everyday word.

5. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    It is my birthday today. I would make an excellet recipient. No gifts under $100.00 please (cash preferred).

(I agree, "recipient" is probably the best choice of words.)

6. Soleildhiver Senior Member

French \ Canada
    Thank you guys! Recipient means bucket or container in French, so it must be why :)

7. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    The English version of that is a "receptacle". And that would be a lousy word for someone who received a gift. So I can understand your confusion.

8. ItaliaAmore Banned

English
    What about "consignee"?

9. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

No, not at all. "Consignee" is the receiver of a package. It is a shipping term. The person shipping something is the shipper; the person receiving it is the consignee. It sounds as impersonal as referring to the recipient as the "addressee".

10. Waylink Senior Member

English (British)
    Although I agree broadly that the answers given are suitable, I would just state the obvious that [ recipient] is not synonymous with [a person who receives a gift] so I don't think it right to say that [recipient] defines a person who receives a gift.

The thing received might be something very unwelcome, unpleasant and/or dangerous or might have been paid for so would not count as a [gift].

11. ItaliaAmore Banned

English
    Thanks James!

12. alainrostain New Member

Englsih
    I'm a little late in the game, so not sure anyone will read this. But was trying to find a good word for the person who receives something from a giver, that has a positive or neutral connotation.

In any case, the question about gift and giver and recipient begs the point that the words can't truly be seen as the two sides of the same transaction. For example, one might say someone is a giver. This is a very positive connotation. But recipient is neutral - there is usually positive or negative connotation of recipient without context.

Giver and Taker are often seen as opposites and complements. But in this case the meaning is around someone being a giving person, and someone being a selfish person.

What about Give and Need? We often say that we should give to the needy. If I give to the community, what do you call those who I am giving to? Is the community a recipient? A giftee? Wish giftee was a word!!!

13. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

"Giftee" is a word; so is "gifter" (although it's one of those words that annoy me). Both of them seem a little contrived to me.

14. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

How about 'beneficiary'? I am not sure that we could describe the community itself as being a beneficiary, but I don´t see why we can´t use it to describe the people who make up that community.