1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Martjain New Member

Argentinian Spanish
    How would you translate "no podría andar con alguien que no me atrae por muy fascinante que me resulte su personalidad"?

I would say: "I couldn't date a person which I don't find attractive in spite of them having a fascinating personality".

You see, I've always had trouble with despite, in spite of, etc. So if you could give me a hand with that, that'd be great.
    Also, I know there are many ways to translate it without using in spite or despite but I wanted to know how to use these. And is which correctly used?
    Thanks in advance.

2. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Well, I wouldn't use "despite" or "in spite of" to translate your Spanish sentence, so I can't really comment there. Sorry.

I'm not sure whether you are asking for alternatives that don't use "despite" or "in spite of", but if you are, I suggest "I couldn't go out with someone I didn't find attractive, no matter how fascinating his/her personality was."

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  3. macame

macame Senior Member

Half a mile to heaven
    Spanish & Galician
    My try:I could not date someone who does not attract me, however/no matter how fascinating I find his/her personality.