1. Martjain New Member

Argentinian Spanish
    How would you translate "no podría andar con alguien que no me atrae por muy fascinante que me resulte su personalidad"?

I would say: "I couldn't date a person which I don't find attractive in spite of them having a fascinating personality".

You see, I've always had trouble with despite, in spite of, etc. So if you could give me a hand with that, that'd be great.
    Also, I know there are many ways to translate it without using in spite or despite but I wanted to know how to use these. And is which correctly used?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Well, I wouldn't use "despite" or "in spite of" to translate your Spanish sentence, so I can't really comment there. Sorry.

I'm not sure whether you are asking for alternatives that don't use "despite" or "in spite of", but if you are, I suggest "I couldn't go out with someone I didn't find attractive, no matter how fascinating his/her personality was."
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  3. macame

macame Senior Member

Half a mile to heaven
    Spanish & Galician
    My try:I could not date someone who does not attract me, however/no matter how fascinating I find his/her personality.