a play on "mens sana in corpore sano"

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by arsanima, Oct 4, 2012.

1. arsanima New Member

Québec, Qc, CA
    French - Québecois

For a painting I'm working on, I'm looking for the correct grammar of a modified version of the popular saying "mens sana in corpore sano". What I'm trying to do is replace the "sane" part of the saying by the word "saint". However, I'm at lost about which declension to use. My guess would be ablative (mens sancto in corpore sancto?) but I'm really not sure about it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you!

2. Hamlet2508 Senior Member

I am sure you know about the background of this verse (Juvenal, Satires, 10.356). It would have to be "mens sancta in corpore sancto"

You might also go for

"mens sacra in corpore sacro"
  3. exgerman Senior Member

English but my first language was German
    Sancta/o is appropriate in Christian Latin, sacra/o in pagan Latin. So choose the one that works best in your context.
  4. Kevin Beach

Kevin Beach Senior Member

But then there is the hymn "O sacrum convivium in quo Christus sumitur ..."
  5. XiaoRoel

XiaoRoel Senior Member

Vigo (Galiza)
    galego, español
    Mais je ne trouve pas le sens de cette modification de l'originel latin. À quoi sancto/sacro/beato?.
  6. arsanima New Member

Québec, Qc, CA
    French - Québecois
    Thanks folks! Sancta/o seems appropriate in this circumstance.
    XiaoRoel: L'original latin se traduisant " Un esprit sain dans un corps sain", je cherches simplement à modifier le sens pour qu'on puisse la traduire comme "Un esprit saint dans un corps saint".
  7. XiaoRoel

XiaoRoel Senior Member

Vigo (Galiza)
    galego, español
    C'est bon. Vous avez bien choisi: sanctus, sancta, sanctum.
  8. stevelogan Junior Member

This difference is not completely correct. Both are used in Classical and Christian Latin in both ways.

For example, sanctus is widely used in Virgilio, Cicero, Tacitus. It means pure, venerated. Sacer means venerated too, but it has also the sense of consecrated / dedicated to, and bounded to someone. Cum-sacer, cum-sacrare, con-sacrated, dedicated to. It's a minimal difference, and you can see it only in some phrases, it depends from the context. Sacer is a synonim of "dedicated" and "bounded to someone" usually by oath, but if you are devoted to a god for exampe, you are also sanctus (in principle) by extension. So...