1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

a poetic way of calling "eye"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by vichy, Oct 14, 2009.

1. vichy Senior Member

Germany
    mongolian
    Hello all,
    How can I call a human eye in a poetic sense? In my language, there is a honorific name for eyes which is used for describing of God's eye, for example. Thank you very much in advance!

2. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    "Window of the soul"?

3. vichy Senior Member

Germany
    mongolian
    Thanks liliput. But would be nice if it's as short as possible. Because I am trying to translate my friend's poem.

4. Tochy14 Senior Member

Liliput, I like this one pretty much!!!

5. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    In English, it's common to compare eyes to jewels or deep pools. A little more context would be helpful.

6. vichy Senior Member

Germany
    mongolian
    Ok, thanks lilput. I can try to give you more context.It's said, "Sending a desiderata to a glorius luminaries, sky eyes"

7. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    Heavenly eyes?

8. vichy Senior Member

Germany
    mongolian
    I would like to change that simple word "eyes" :)

9. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    I looked in a thesaurus and found "oculus" and "orb". Oculus is probably less ambiguous.

10. vichy Senior Member

Germany
    mongolian
    Oh, thank you so much!!! I like it! Thanks again!

11. pickarooney

pickarooney Senior Member

Provence, France
    English (Ireland)
    "Sending a desiderata to a glorius luminaries, sky eyes"

This sounds quite nice, but I've no idea what it means.
    There's no single word which means 'sky eyes' in English, although there are plenty of one-syllable synonyms with varying degrees of 'prettiness' and a whole host of metaphors.

12. vichy Senior Member

Germany
    mongolian
    Thanks pickarooney! Yeah, my Mongolian friend is poet and I try to translate her one of poems into english. Glorius luminaries are referring the eyes of the sky (kind of animated expression). Is that Ok if I interpret that idea as "sky oculus"?

13. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    Note the spelling "glorious" not "glorius". Also the plural of oculus is oculi.

Luminary can refer to a light-giving body in the sky and also to an inspirational person. I like this line of the poem.

14. vichy Senior Member

Germany
    mongolian
    Oh, thanks dear liliput! I find your correction hearty support! Yes, the poem is truly nice and I am afraid of diminishig the original idea and beauty.

15. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    "sky oculus or oculi"? I'm afraid this will only be understood by very few people. I also cannot understood why you would want an alternative to the perfectly economical and evocative 'eyes'. Am I correct in understanding that you want one word to replace 'eyes'?

16. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    It's poetry, why should it be easy to understand? Anyway, it's a perfectly valid English word and if people don't understand it they can look it up in the dictionary.