A quién le dan pan que llore?

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by LadyVita, Aug 9, 2008.

1. LadyVita Senior Member

Mexico City
    Spanish-Mexico/English
    Hello, everyone!

I need some help with this saying, I've looked all over for an appropriate meaning, but nothing seems to fit in... this is about a man that gets an invitation from a lady who has had a few drinks, and he sees the chance to go further with her, you know. The phrase is:

"¿A quién le dan pan que llore?" contestó, sonriendo.

My attempt: "Who gets free bread and doesn't eat it?" he answered smiling (or with a smile).

Thank you for your help!

2. alexacohen

alexacohen Senior Member

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    Who looks a gift horse in the mouth?

3. LadyVita Senior Member

Mexico City
    Spanish-Mexico/English
    Thank you, Alexacohen, well, that was fast! The thing here is, I don't think of the lady as a gift, do you? This is a novel about the lives of four very wealthy men, and two of them are just about to spend the night with these drunk ladies they met in a bar, so... Mainly, I think this is about grasping the opportunity. Any other ideas? Some kind of equivalent?

4. alexacohen

alexacohen Senior Member

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    Sorry, I am not familiar with the saying.

I got the "gift" idea because you translated "free bread", so I assumed that was the meaning, that the "gentleman" thought the lady to be an unexpected gift.

Someone may have a better idea.

5. LadyVita Senior Member

Mexico City
    Spanish-Mexico/English
    I can see your point... Thank you again, greetings!

LadyVita =)

6. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    I had never heard this saying. Are you sure you got it right?

7. cesarduck Senior Member

Guadalajara, Jalisco.
    Español - México
    hola

A quién le dan pan que llore es una frase muy utilizada en mexico,ese ejemplo que dices "Who gets free bread and doesn't eat it?" me parece muy bien.

te doy otro ejemplo;

si ati normalmente te pagan 400 dollars a la semana y en una semana te pagan 500 dollars. tu dirias ''bueno, a quien le dan pan que llore´´

espero me entiendas.

8. Pinairun

Pinairun Senior Member

The proverb says:
    Never look a gift horse in the mouth.
    En español: A caballo regalado no se le mira el diente.

Podría ser también:
    A nadie le amarga un dulce, pero no encuentro el equivalente en inglés.

Saludos

9. LadyVita Senior Member

Mexico City
    Spanish-Mexico/English
    This is why I joined the forums, thank you so much everyone! And yes, Oldy Nuts, it is very common in Mexico, I don't know if it is common in other parts of the Spanish-speaking countries in Central or South America, but the suggestions are good and will be taken into account. Cesarduck, you got the idea just right.

Again, you all have my gratitude. I'll be here for you guys also, ok?

Greetings! =)

10. Oldy Nuts

Oldy Nuts Senior Member

Santiago, Chile
    Spanish - Chile
    I was answering LadyVita; it's the "a quien le dan pan que llore" (surely "quien" and not "quién"?) that I had bever heard before. And I still don't understand how do you get from there to something similar to "a nadie le amarga un dulce". However, I'm more than willing to take the word of the Mexican participants, and I'll try to remember this new proverb.

That's exactly the idea, LadyVita: we all come here to help each other. Welcome to the club

11. DILETANTE Senior Member

Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
    Castellano, Argentina
    Hola todos!

Oldy_Nuts: A mi también me costó mucho encontrarle un sentido, pero finalmente creo que se podría expresar de la siguiente forma:
    "¿Quién al que se le de pan irá a llorar?"
    Y por cierto, coincido contigo, es "quién".

Cordiales saludos.

12. LaLo1978 New Member

English
    A quien le dan pan que llore? (who is given bread and cries)

It means, who gets something for free (or handed to them) and complains?

13. LadyVita Senior Member

Mexico City
    Spanish-Mexico/English
    Hello in there, LaLo1978!

Yes, that is exactly the idea it wants to portrait, at least in the original in Spanish....

Regards! =0)