1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

A record (noun)

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Adimine, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Adimine Senior Member

Europe
    English - United Kingdom
    Hi,
    In the following extract about a radio presenter, what are 'records'?

We go off air at 7.15pm. Then I rush up to the office, log in the records that have been played, work out what will be on the show the next day and type it up for the daytime DJs.

This article is about Kiss 100 FM in London a couple years ago. I am sure that the presenter is not referring to literal vinyl records, but rather 'recordings'. Is it a widely accepted abbrevation? Does it make you do a double-take?

Thanks

2. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    I think you're right.

See this previous thread: CD/Record/Album?

I'm a nit-picker, so I would not call them "records," but there's a large body of anachronistic terms out there based upon outmoded technology.

For example, some people still talk about dialing a telephone number and then hanging up .... with a mobile telephone.:eek:

Perhaps things will change when we old fogeys are long gone... :eek:

3. waltern Senior Member

English - USA
    No it doesn't bother me - though I suspect whether or not it sounds strange to a given listener might depend on how old they are...

4. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    I gather that vinyl is still quite the thing among the 'hipsters' of London (home of Kiss FM), or so I'm told. Whether this DJ was being literal or knowing is hard to tell, but club DJs worth their salts consider it beneath their dignity to be associated with anything less than vinyl.
    (I tend to double take at most things ... I remember double taking at 'hipsters' the first time round).

5. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    I think 'records' is being used loosely here. I found the interview. (See link below.) In it she mentions among the benefits of her job, going to concerts and dinner with 'record company people' and free records. It seems that by 'records' she means whatever format is used to record and distribute songs these days.

Source:
    This link will download a rtf. text: RSA/Cambridge Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults
    If you don't want to download it, click: View as HTML