1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. DetectiveTective New Member

USA
    Ok. In my Spanish class, my teacher has told me that the word "a" is just a little "magic word" that likes to pop up in many phrases.
    One such example that I missed on a review, would be the phrase, "Does she know how to cook?" That would be translated to "Sabe a comer?" (I know I left out the upside down question mark) It's not a very good example, but the "a" did pop up in that sentence. My question is why that happens. My teacher didn't know, so I'm just asking if anyone else knows. Is it just there to annoy people? Or is it there just to be ignored? So please... SHOW ME THE SPANISH HISTORY!!! wit' sugar lumps on top! lol.
    :):thumbsup::p

2. SDLX Master

SDLX Master Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    Spanish - Peru
    Your example translation is wrong. It should go: ¿(Ella) sabe cocinar?

Now then, the word "a" is generally used before pronouns/nouns/verbs and works like English preposition "to".
    e.g.
    (pron.) Voy a tu casa = I'm going to your house
    (noun) Voy a clases = I'm going to class
    (verb) Voy a estudiar = I'm going to study

Sometimes, when "a" needs to go together with article "el" we come up with "al". That would be the closest idea to the English, "to the".
    e.g.
    Voy al juego = I'm going to the game.

Hope this helped somehow. ;)

3. themere

themere Senior Member

Cary, NC
    Perú, Español
  4. ordira

ordira Senior Member

En el Valle de las Fortalezas
    Mexico - Spanish, English, Albures
    "Does she know how to cook?" = "Sabe a comer?" :cross:
    = ¿Sábe cocinar?:tick:

I'll give you another example:

It tastes like chicken = sabe a pollo, in which a is a "support" preposition, it's like in English you say "look at that", the verb look implies the act of watching something, but you use at anyway to, among other uses, make it differente from other uses of "look"

5. DetectiveTective New Member

USA
    Thanks for all of your help! I appreciate it!! ^_^