1. curtis87 Junior Member

Lyon
    france and french
    hello,

I would like to know in french what "a stand up row " means
    in the sentence "There was a stand up row between the British team and the Portuguese"
    I know that row means "dispute ou engueulade" but both stand up and row attached I don't see the meaning.
    It's still about Maddie's story.

bye

2. FAC13

FAC13 Senior Member

English, UK
    It is often used figuratively, but the expression paints a picture of two people (or groups) standing facing each other and arguing heatedly - shouting, pointing fingers etc.

Does that help?

3. Rege

Rege Senior Member

London
    France (French)
    We sometimes use the following expression:
    "Il y a eu une bataille de tranchée entre les deux camps"
    It refers to the 1st world war when the opposite camp were standing on their position.
    Nothing moved.
    We then use it to say that people disagree/have a row on something and no accord or solution can be found.

I am probably out of the contest...

4. englishman Senior Member

English England
    You are. It means simply "a very heated argument", indicated by the fact that the people are described as "standing up" i.e on their feet, arguing with each other. They don't literally have to be standing, of course.

5. rosieg Senior Member

Beirut, Lebanon
    England, English
    So basically you can just translate as if it was "a big argument" since the "stand-up" bit is just to emphasise the strength, right?

6. curtis87 Junior Member

Lyon
    france and french
    thanks to both of all, i understand that it means simply a big row between the 2 camps and none of them wanna change their minds
    bye