1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

A think and a go

Discussion in 'English Only' started by lhn.peter, Jul 21, 2008.

1. lhn.peter Junior Member

Finnish
    Hi,

Context
    : My friend emailed me like this: "Next month, take a think about being in Finland, I will have a chance to have a go at skiing with you."

Problem: I a little bit understood him, but I've been very confused by "a think" and "a go". To me, those are very strange. I am glad to hear from you. Are "think" and "go" also nouns? Or what was structure used there?

Thanks.

2. Broccolicious Senior Member

Glorious Devonshire
    English - England
    Hi there

In informal speech, we might say 'have a think' about something, which just means to think about something. I've never heard 'take a think'.

'Have a go' at doing something means to try - for example, I am having a go at answering your question. This summer I might have a go at surfing.

NB If you have a go at somebody, it means that you are shouting at them, or telling them off.

Hope that helps!

Broc

3. jforres1

jforres1 Junior Member

Winnipeg
    Canada/ English
    These are simply idiomatic expressions. Personally, I have never head take a think before and it sounds quite strange to me. But, given the context, I would translate take a think as think about.

A go is an expression I have heard before, but not used very often where I come from. It means to try something (generally for the first time) or to attempt something

Therefore, I would translate your friend's message as

Next month, think about coming to Finland, I will attempt to go skiing with you.

4. lhn.peter Junior Member

Finnish
    Oh, I like your ideas.

As you said, "a + verb" is informal, isn't it? Can we use that in writing?

5. jforres1

jforres1 Junior Member

Winnipeg
    Canada/ English
    Yes, you can use these expressions in written form. But remember, they are informal. Use them with your friends and close family. But not in presentations, reports or other formal documents.

6. lhn.peter Junior Member

Finnish
    Yes, I see.

Thanks much, jforres1.

7. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Just a quick comment: we're not talking about "a + verb" here.

In "a think" and "a go", think and go are nouns.

8. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It looks as if lhn's friend is experimenting with this form.
    The sentence has take a think, have a chance, and have a go.
    Altogether, I don't know what the sentence means.

9. nichec

nichec Senior Member

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    I am guessing that the friend is going to think about going to Finland and try skiing with lhn.peter next month?

(Gosh, I don't really understand the sentence either)

10. lhn.peter Junior Member

Finnish
    Thank all of you for very friendly discussion.

I have just seen "a go, a think,..." in ISBN 978-0-333-75760-4 whose name is "Inside Out" by Macmillan. But your ideas really helped me.