a thousand thank yous

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by pmwolff, Feb 3, 2005.

1. pmwolff New Member

USA English
    If someone would tell me how to say "a thousand thank yous" in French, I would appreciate it.

2. Benjy

Benjy Senior Member

Milton Keynes, UK
    English - English
    merci mille fois?

3. Carlos Martínez Riera

Carlos Martínez Riera Senior Member

Valencia
    Spain / Spanish
    Oui, et aussi
    Un grand, grand merci.

4. pmwolff New Member

USA English
    Thanks for responding so quickly. The only question I have on what you suggest is whether or not it corresponds to French usage. The French are typically very demanding about "getting it right" when it comes to usage of the language. Is this the "proper" phrase to use when you want to say a thousand thank yous to someone?

Pat

5. pmwolff New Member

USA English
    Gracias, Carlos.

6. fetchezlavache

fetchezlavache Senior Member

metz, france
    france

'mille mercis' is in my opinion much more common than 'un grand grand merci'. but then again, all depends upon the context, the degree of familiarity with the person you're talking to, etc..

by the way, i don't have the feeling that we french are typically very demanding about "getting it right" when it comes to usage of the language., but if we are, i see that as a strong point.. (winks at jabote)

7. Jabote Senior Member

Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
    French from France
    [​IMG] He he .... ATTA GIRL FETCHEZ !

8. pmwolff New Member

USA English
    "Typically very demanding" was meant to be a description, not an insult. I apologize if the connotation of "demanding" came out wrong. In the US, slang passes for language and Americans in general are amazed to find that France has a committee to decide French names of things from non-French countries. No one here would dream of making so much effort and (almost) no one would pay any attention. I find it pretty dreadful that it's the TV, newspaper and radio reporters who usually introduce new words and names and that people can graduate from colleges and still not know the basics of grammar.

Thanks for the additional information. I was only trying to get it right. Is the quote at the bottom of your message from Dickens?

9. Jabote Senior Member

Mirabel, Quebec, Canada
    French from France
    Don't worry pmwolff... I'm sure fetchez took it as compliment.... just like I did...

AND.... guess what ! I agree 100% with your statement: "I find it pretty dreadful that it's the TV, newspaper and radio reporters who usually introduce new words and names and that people can graduate from colleges and still not know the basics of grammar."...[​IMG]

10. fetchezlavache

metz, france
    france
    yoohoooooooo to pmwolff, we should create a committee for the defense of language ! i fully agree with you as well, same as jabote..

i have to apologise if i sounded like i snapped back at you, i was taken aback by your sentence, but not to the point of feeling insulted ! i didn't mean my answer to sound so sharp. glad to see we are all agreeing. <phew>

ps the quote is by tolkien.

11. pmwolff New Member

USA English
    Thanks, Fetchez and Jabote. Glad there are no hard feelings.

Fetchez, I can't find fetchez or fetcher in the french>english web page translater. Vache comes up, but what does "fetchez" mean?

12. fetchezlavache

metz, france
    france
    no, it's a stupid sentence built by monty python mocking french knights.

fetchez la vache (fetch the cow)... there is a thread somewhere with the .wav file that corresponds the film snippet.