A trip to Büyükada

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by Pitt, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Pitt Senior Member

Germany
    German
    Merhaba!

I'd like to know if this translation is correct:
    A trip to Büyükada > Büyükada'ya bir gezinti.

My grammar says: Büyükada'da bir gezinti.

Selamlar

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  2. snoopymanatee

snoopymanatee Senior Member

Türkiye/Turkiye
    Türkçe/Turkish

A trip in Büyükada. > Büyükada'da bir gezinti. :tick:

3. shafaq Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    A trip to Büyükada:cross:???= Büyükada'ya bir gezinti. :cross:
    Büyükada'da bir gezinti.:tick: but it is (not=to) A trip to Büyükada.

Verb stem+(xntx) suffix, in Turkish is used to express something "little, short, non-complete, abortive, insufficient, erroneous, irritating even unwanted" as it was as the "trip" in English. Just as "
    A trip to Büyükada" conceptually isn't correct; "Büyükada'ya bir gezinti." too is indecent in Turkish.
    Because gezinti=trip means a short "walk around" by means of time and distance without leaving initial location; then; both "
    A trip to Büyükada" and "Büyükada'ya bir gezinti." isn't correct. Neither a "trip" nor a "gezinti" is sufficient to realize a "journey=gezi" to any where; from "outside" of it.

So; it isn't a "trip" but a "jorney" or a "tour" to Büyükada and its counterpart in Turkish is "Büyükada'ya bir gezi" or just "Büyükada gezisi".

Your grammar book has excelled in saying "Büyükada'da bir gezinti". As snoopymanatee indicated;
    A trip in Büyükada. :tick:> Büyükada'da bir gezinti.:tick: Because it is so short and "within it" without leaving initial location.

4. Pitt Senior Member

Germany
    German
    Thanks a lot! I understand it like this:

gezi = a trip
    a trip to Büyükada = Büyükada'ya bir gezi

gezinti = a walk
    a walk in Büyükada = Büyükada'da bir gezinti

Is this correct?

5. shafaq Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Turkish side of your equation is correct. But my objection toward "gezi=a trip" equation still continues.

To me; it isn't a "trip" but a "jorney" or a "tour" to Büyükada and its counterpart in Turkish is "Büyükada'ya bir gezi" or just "Büyükada gezisi". Trip is "a walk" but not a "journey".

According to Webster's New Wolrld Dictionary electronic version:
    trip:
    1 to walk, run or dance with light rapid steps, skip; caper
    2 to stumble, esp.by catching the foot
    3 to make a false step, inaccuracy or mistake; err
    4 to falter in speech
    5 to run past the pallet of the escapement without catching
    6 (rare) to take a trip; journey
    7 (slang)to experience a TRIP of (n. 6)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  6. LunarLord Junior Member

Turkish
    It doesn't always have to be "walk=trip" . Many boat-trips still exist around Büyükada and the other islands. Also people can go on a business/school trip(iş gezisi/ okul gezisi).Journey is usually used for one-way trips. But if you're referring to "gezinti" as a day trip, it is okay to use that way in my opinion.

For gezinti, i would probably use "tour"(e.g. virtual tour=sanal gezinti) sometimes excursion(excursion boat=gezinti teknesi) , or informally "go for a walk/stroll/outing/jaunt" or even "drive around"(which all mean "
    gezintiye çıkmak" in general).

Here is something i've found in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. For detailed information
    http://oald8.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/dictionary/trip

Plus, make sure to read the "Usage Note" to see the differences between trip and journey

Trip

a journey to a place and back again, especially a short one for pleasure or a particular purpose

Did you have a good trip?

We went on a trip to the mountains.

a day trip (= lasting a day)

a boat/coach trip

a business/school/shopping trip

They took a trip down the river.

We had to make several trips to bring all the equipment over.

2 (slang) the experience that somebody has if they take a powerful drug that affects the mind and makes them imagine thingsan acid (= LSD) trip

an act of falling or nearly falling down, because you hit your foot against something

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  7. Pitt Senior Member

Germany
    German
    Açıklamalarınız için çok teşekkürler!