A ver si + presente/futuro

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Zanahoria, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Zanahoria Senior Member

"A ver si nos vemos algún día" 111.000 hits on google

"A ver si nos veremos algún día" 0 hits on google

Por qué no el futuro?
    Se refiere al futuro y todo eso...

2. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Dutch - Belgium
    En mi opinión, el futur está bien también. Si buscas "a ver si nos veremos" verás unos 700000 hits.
  3. mhp Senior Member

American English
  4. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Dutch - Belgium
    I actually mistyped 1 zero. It should have been 70000:eek:

But I agree with your analysis. It constantly changes and should not be used as an argument.

But that aside, I think that "a ver si veremos" is OK and that was what the thread was about.
  5. mhp Senior Member

American English
    I don't see how you are getting 700,000 or 70,000. I get 25. (try listing all of them and you'll see what I mean)
  6. jmx

jmx Senior Member

Spain / incorrect Spanish
    I've just found something strange about Google. First page:
    Second Page:
    Third page:
    As Mhp said, "a ver si nos veremos" is unusual, at least in a declarative sentence.
  7. mhp Senior Member

American English
    This is not unusual at all. See the discussion that I referenced above. Any Google number over 1000 is unverifiable. That is a fact.
  8. Peterdg

Peterdg Senior Member

Dutch - Belgium
    Yes, you're right. I didn't check that. Anyway, it doesn't matter as I agree google hits are NOT an argument. Anyone can put anything on the Internet.
  9. mhp Senior Member

American English
    If they put it on the internet, it counts. The thing is that Google is not counting correctly. As far as Google is concerned 1+1=1000 :eek:
  10. aleCcowaN Senior Member

Castellano - Argentina
    "a ver si nos vemos" = more than 1000 results
    "a ver si nos veremos" = 24 results

"a ver si nos vemos algún día" = 464 results
    "a ver si nos veremos algún día" = 1 result

The only explanation I can think of is that we use present simple for future events that are scheduled:

Mi avión sale mañana por la mañana = Mi plane leaves tomorrow morning

In "a ver si nos vemos algún día" we are not setting date and time but we express our hope that a sort of uncertain meeting will actually happen, so I think we deal with it like it is a scheduled appointment, no matter how future or uncertain it is.

About why using indicative instead of subjunctive -a subject that hasn't arisen yet, I think, though it should- my intuition is that it follows the same pattern as "a lo mejor". With the last expression the speaker uses indicative to point out that the following phrase is the selected outcome of a multi-option situation (not the most probable outcome, just the outcome I'm speaking about). Following the same pattern I see us, native speakers, using indicative to "vote for" -or "vow for", or even "dare to"- the meeting or whatever for it to happen.

[Please correct my English. I'm just starting to avoid looking words up each time I'm not sure, so tightrope with no safety net]
  11. Stefania salvato

Stefania salvato Junior Member

Ravenna, Italy
    Isn'it possible that here we need to use the same rule that we use with "si"? Which is: don't ever use a future, if the fact is possible use the present even if we mean in the future
  12. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)

In this case, I would only use the present A ver si nos vemos, never the future.