a welcome addition to our team

Discussion in 'English Only' started by quietdandelion, Sep 6, 2007.

1. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    Samuel is a welcome addition to our team.

Does the underlined part sound right? Thanks.

2. I am not sure. I personally find it rather strange refering to a person as "addition".

3. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, Setwale.
    I find it odd too, and that's why I posted it here to ask your opinions.

4. jbs_australia Junior Member

Oxford, United Kingdom
    Australia, English
    I don't find that unusual at all... it is quite common to say such a thing (in the context that they are a great new member of a team).

It is very common to say such a thing and it sits well in that context.

JBS

5. nzseries1

nzseries1 Senior Member

London
    New Zealand - English
    It sounds okay to me too. This sort of thing would quite often be said in a business situation.

6. Yes, I mean it`s correct but I would still prefer something more... delicate, not just indicating somebody is an addition or acquisition. It is rather a matter of ethics to me here.

7. nzseries1

nzseries1 Senior Member

London
    New Zealand - English
    Every time that someone joins our team at work, we always get an email saying "please welcome the latest addition to our team". The word addition is always used. I personally have no problems at all when referred to in this way :)

8. JediMaster Senior Member

USA
    English, United States
    It sounds perfectly fine to me in AE as well. I understand your concern that the team will be treating the new person like an item (similar to a new computer or the like), but it is a very common phrase in English and means something along the lines of "Although Samuel is new to the team, you will find that he will help the team greatly in his area of expertise."

9. quietdandelion

quietdandelion Banned

Homesweethome
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, my helpful friends.