a woman after my own heart

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Arzhela, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Arzhela

Arzhela Senior Member

France
    French
    Hello,
    My sentence is : "You are a woman after my own heart, my dear"
    Can someone help me to understand it ??
    Thank you for your help !

2. forevagreenearth New Member

Auckland, New Zealand
    English, New Zealand
    It means that someone has interests similar to yours, or that you and the other person think in the same way.

Maria R.

3. Arzhela

Arzhela Senior Member

France
    French
    Thank you very much Maria !
    So, in french, it means "Vous et moi sommes sur la même longueur d'ondes"

4. forevagreenearth New Member

Auckland, New Zealand
    English, New Zealand
    Yes, approximately. My English is better than my French, but that sounds right in French.

Maria R.

5. Jean-Michel Carrère Senior Member

French from France
    une femme comme je les aime

6. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

We say this in English, though, as well :"You and I are on the same wavelength." To me, this applies more to similarities in thought, where "she's a woman after my own heart" is more about a kinship in feelings, temperament, or outlook.

7. njcaviet Senior Member

London
    English, UK
    I think that jean-michel's idea is spot on. "A woman after my own heart" is a woman who thinks or does exactly the things that the speaker finds attractive. I agree that the other idea is more "on the same wavelength", which means more you share opinions or approaches.

8. ascoltate

ascoltate Senior Member

Montréal, QC
    U.S.A. & Canada, English
    I think the expression can have both meanings. I looked into our pet chinchilla's cage early today and saw that he had fallen asleep with his hand in his food bowl, to which I said: "A chin(chilla) after my own heart" (meaning that I love to eat so much too) - maybe something like an "âme soeur" would work for both meanings... but I think the "wavelength" translation worked fairly well...