A Word For "A Reality So Unfortunate It Shouldn't Exist"?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by NotMyReal_Name, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotMyReal_Name New Member

English
    What is a word that means "a reality so unfortunate that it should not exist" ?

2. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    Hello NotMyReal_Name.

Welcome to the forum. :)

It's hard to know without more information. What kind of reality is this, and what makes it 'unfortunate'? Give us a complete sentence in which you would use this word, and some idea of the kind of writing you are doing.

I can't promise there is such a word, but we would like to help you. The more information you provide, the more likely someone is to be able to think of something useful. :)
    That is why the forum rules require Context and Background with every question. ;)

3. NotMyReal_Name New Member

English
    In Africa, there are multitudes of people who are suffering/dying of thirst and/or are resorting to drinking water that is full of diseases (at the very least - i.e.: not fit for drinking), yet, there are aquifers close by (beneath them)!
    The fact that they have a resource available, but that it does nothing for them creates such a sad situation because the people are suffering "needlessly" - resources are "within reach", but they cannot be benefited by them, because either they don't know the aquifers or don't have the technology/tools to access the resource.
    This is a situation which does not have to exist, yet exists - it is a very sad situation (made worse by the fact that it is needless) and shouldn't be allowed to exist.

4. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    A "damn shame," perhaps? A "senseless tragedy"? "Needless suffering"?

I don't think we can necessarily get it down to one word, but clearly there are ways to express this in English.

5. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Hello NotMy

In your second post you gave an explanation of the word. What we really need is a complete sentence containing the word as suggested by Cagey.

You could simply write the sentence and put a dotted line where the word would occur. This will give us some context and perhaps jog our memories.

Thanks

6. NotMyReal_Name New Member

English
    Thanks but I wanted a different word.

7. NotMyReal_Name New Member

English
    E.G.:

"It is, then, a ____________ thing that there should exist such a reservoir of sheer power lying untapped - dormant (for all intents and purposes - i.e.: by virtue of its not being employed; its lack of coming to bear upon the life [in particular, the life of the soul] so painfully obvious) all the time - which will nonchalantly reply when called upon (as if to say, "All you had to do was ask: I was here, disposed to helping you, the whole while."), its power finally surfacing when true words relaying the particulars of "the Good News concerning God's Efforts (and His Reward for His Effort)" are put on display.
    These are words over things God accomplished (and the hope found in them); tragically, their worth lies un-known and un-handled by most 'Christians'."

8. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    It is, then, plainly absurd that there...

9. NotMyReal_Name New Member

English
    No, but thanks anyways

10. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    I can only think of intolerable. That would suggest to me that it is something that shouldn't be happening but might be changed.
    It is, then, intolerable that ....
    I would expect the subsequent discussion to propose a way to change it.

If you can think of a word that is close to what you mean, you can look it up in the search box at the top of the page, and then click the 'English synonyms' link at the top of the definitions page. Then you can see whether any of the suggestions are suitable. If you click on any word in the synonym list, that will lead to another list. Perhaps that will be useful.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  11. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    I would guess "unthinkable."

12. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    I started to think "atrocity", but that has the moral connotation of an intolerable act by a human.

13. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    Naaah, let's get posher - 'inconceivable' :D

14. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    I think we need more input from the original poster before we go further. Perhaps one of the suggestions is what he is looking for. If not, he can explain to us why they aren't suitable.

Otherwise this is, indeed, becoming a list.

15. NotMyReal_Name New Member

English
    Thanks, but it's not what I'm looking for.

Right, that would not fit.

I thought there might be people here who knew and could expose me to some rare/exotic word that was made to describe this very purpose/situation, but it doesn't seem like it - it is ok; I can "settle" for something less.

Thanks all

16. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
  17. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    Notmyrealname, contributors have offered various suggestions on various interpretations of "should not exist": "so bad that somebody must do something" - intolerable; "so bad that someone should be punished" - atrocious; "so bad that we cannot imagine it" - inconceivable, etc. What do you mean by "should not" here? What factors contribute to your expectation of what the world "should" look like?

18. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    And some more of the feedback we've received:
    NMRN, can you explain how or in which way these words don't suit your purpose? You're rejecting all of these suggestions offhand, but you aren't explaining why or for what reason. Because of this, it's impossible for us to give you better suggestions that would do what you want.
    You haven't actually yet described adequately what "this very purpose" is. What is your angle? Notice that the different descriptions of your context give overlapping, confusing, or contradictory indications: one of your descriptions sounds like it's based in geopolitical analysis, but another description is almost theological in tone. The different situations call for different vocabulary. Another thing to think about: do you want other people to know this word, or do you want it to be so obscure that they have to look it up? Finally, if you could only use your words to fill in the blank, what would they be?

If you help us help you a little better, you might get much better results.

19. Cagey post mod

California
    English - US
    As pointed out above, without more information, people can only offer a series of guesses which is not the purpose of the forum.

This thread is closed.

Cagey, moderator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.