abandonment

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Anglo-Greek, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Anglo-Greek Senior Member

London, UK
    English
    A bit of research has revealed that there are loads of different words that could be translated as "abandonment" in German, depending on the context: Aufgabe, Abtretung, Überlassung, Verzicht, Aussetzung, Abbruch, Abandon, Entsagung, Verlassen... I spent a while poring over dictionaries trying to work out which is the one for the context I want, to no avail.

My sentence is: "Mehrmals erklärt der Mann logisch und im liebevollen Ton warum er gehen muss und es ist immer klar, dass es kein [abandonment] ist." ("The man repeatedly explains logically and in an affectionate tone why he has to go and it is always clear that it is not an abandonment.")

To my understanding "Verlassen" wouldn't work because he is leaving her, he's not abandoning her though. That is to say, he's going to come back. Because I'm not sure of the different nuances of meaning of the different German words, I'm not sure whether I've adequately explained what I mean. If it's not clear, do ask for further clarification and explanation of the specific context.

2. Roy776

Roy776 Senior Member

Kraków, Poland
    German & AmE
    I don't know if I can be of much help here, but I seriously hope that other German native speakers might be able to help you with this. I, as a native German and English speaker, am always complaining about a lack of a good German word for 'abandoning'. To my mind it's one of the most difficult words to translate into German. Anyway, I believe a possible translation might be "... und es ist immer klar, dass es kein endgültiger Abschied ist." or "keine endgültige Trennung".

3. Sowka

Sowka Forera und Moderatorin

Hannover
    German, Northern Germany
    Good morning :)

I think "kein endgültiger Abschied" would be a good solution, but "keine endgültige Trennung" would imply, to me, that it is a "Trennung" indeed, which it is not...

My suggestion: "... warum er jetzt gehen muss, und es ist immer klar, dass er sie damit nicht verlässt."

I would insert "jetzt" in the first part of the sentence to emphasize the temporary character of his action and make the meaning of "nicht verlassen" in the second sentence clear.

4. ABBA Stanza Senior Member

Hessen, DE
    English (UK)
    Grrrrrr! :mad: I thought I had another possibility here, namely Nimmerwiedersehen. So I thought one could write things like "Es ist bloß ein Abschied und kein Nimmerwiedersehen" or (in other situations) "Es war ein Nimmerwiedersehen auf Raten". However the dictionaries are telling me that I can only use it with a preceding "auf" (i.e., "auf Nimmerwiedersehen"). Still, if I Google for "kein Nimmerwiedersehen" (for example), I see that others have also come up with the same idea in the past.

Can anyone tell me why my first two example sentences (in italics) shouldn't work?

Cheers
    Abba

5. Roy776

Roy776 Senior Member

Kraków, Poland
    German & AmE
    I would assume that the problem lies in 'auf Nimmerwiedersehen' being a set phrase and Nimmerwiedersehen not being used as a normal noun. Of course it's understandable, as the meaning of Nimmerwiedersehen can also be understood from the three words it's composed of (Nie - mehr - wiedersehen), but the aforementioned problems might be the reason why.