1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

abbreviated form of kindergarten

Discussion in 'English Only' started by epistolario, Oct 24, 2008.

1. epistolario

epistolario Senior Member

Philippines
    Tagalog
    As an insult sometimes, people here use the abbreviated form kinder. Expressions like these are common:

1) What? You still don't know how to spell your name?! I may send you back to kinder!
    2) In a language class for college students, they discuss simple vocabulary and grammar. When the students fail to understand, the professor may say: It's like [a lesson for] kinder!

The other common expression is grade one which you can use to replace kinder in my sentences.

2. cropje_jnr

cropje_jnr Senior Member

Wollongong, Australia
    English - Australia
    Abbreviations of 'kindergarten' do not necessarily have to involve insults.

In Australia, we would say 'kindy' rather than 'kinder'. A 'kinder surprise' is a type of chocolate egg here.

3. dulish Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    Enlish-United States
    In the United States, I've never heard anyone abbreviate kindergarten. We just say kindergarten.

When you want to insult something, you could also say "first grade."

4. out2lnch Senior Member

Ottawa, Canada
    English-Canada
    We have junior and senior kindergarten, which are often abbreviated as JK and SK. If someone was being dense, I've heard something like: "what, you don't know what an X is? Go back to JK." I've never heard anything like this for SK in the full or abbreviated form though.

I find what cropje said interesting though; I remember kids would always (and probably still do) mispronounce the word as "kindy-garden" or "kidney-garden".

5. A138 New Member

US - English, some French
    I'm from the US and I've never heard it abbreviated. I'm not sure how it can be used as an insult, either... I guess you could say something like: Even a baby knows that...?

6. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    I've occasionally heard it used in BE as a reprimand rather than an insult — and always unabbreviated — when someone is behaving immaturely:

"You're not in kindergarten (or nursery school) any more".

By the way,
    "First grade" would be more likely to be understood in BE as 'very good', like "first rate".

W:)

7. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    I've never heard "kinder" as an abbreviation for "kindergarten". In your second sentence, "kinder" is plausible because it means "children".