Abbreviation of "September", "Sep." or "Sept."

Discussion in 'English Only' started by temujin, Apr 23, 2008.

1. temujin

temujin Senior Member

Hamburg - Germany
    Norway / norwegian
    Hi,

I´m writing on my resume. Would the correct abbreviation for "September" be "Sept." or "Sep." ?

best regards
    t.

2. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Urbana-Champaign, IL
    Am. English, Pal. Arabic (See profile)
    In American English, Sept. is more common.

3. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    I've never seen "Sep." for the abbreviation, and Cambridge also recommends "Sept." as the correct abbreviation. :)

4. mrbilal87

mrbilal87 Senior Member

English (NAmE)
    Sept. is the most common abbreviation for September in North America.

5. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    Either will do. "Sep." seems most common according to Google. I think I would probably tend towards "Sept.". The BBC use both!

One thing to consider is: if you are abbreviating all the months, you might want to keep it to "Sep" for consistency, so that all the abbreviations have three letters (most months do not naturally abbreviate to four letters).

I'm surprised at this. Google shows 135,000 hits for "11th Sep.".

6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    If you can find out by some means how the organisation getting the CV normally abbreviates months, do that - no matter how odd it might seem :)

Otherwise - are you sure you need to abbreviate at all? It may be better to spell the months in full.

The UK NHS standard is three-letter abbreviations, no following full stop/period. That is perhaps completely irrelevant.

7. temujin

temujin Senior Member

Hamburg - Germany
    Norway / norwegian
    Thanks folks,

Think I go for "Sept." then... :D

regards
    t.

PS Spelling it out would be fine if I could have my resume in A3 or something. Now I just need to save every letter I can save...

8. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    Ah, another AE/BE matter then. To be honest, "Sep." seems much more logical, but I don't think it is used in the US. In fact, I've always wondered about this exception, since all other months are abbreviated to three letters.

How strange that Cambridge shows only "Sept". Neither Cambridge nor MW gives any example sentences using the abbreviation.

9. Eigenfunction Senior Member

England - English
    Google is very unreliable in these cases. Even without using the tilde character, google will usually look up synonyms as well as the word you type, so if you google 'sep 11th', you will find that it returns results that do not contain the word sep, but do have September. Also, google can't count, but thats another issue.

Oh, and by the way, I would generally use Sept. unless I had a complete list of months, all shortened to 3 letters, in which case I might use Sep.

10. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    I'm with the NHS on this one: for me all months are abbreviated to three letters (except May, of course:D). As long as you remember to capitalize it, there's no actual danger of it being misunderstood ...

11. Toadie

Toadie Senior Member

Maryland
    English
    On the topic of AE not using "Sep.", the US Military format uses 3 letters for each month. For example, today is 23-Apr-08. Something like September 3rd would be 3-Sep-08. I would say just don't even abbreviate it, though, as Panjandrum suggested.

If you're sending your resume to an American company, you could also write the date as MM/DD/(YY)YY. For instance, today is "04/23/(20)08" (you don't actually write the "20" in parenthesis. The first two numbers in the year are often left out when dealing with dates that would not be confused, i.e.: September 3rd, 1985 -> 09/03/85, and September 3rd, 2008 -> 09/03/08, if they are together. However, if you've got years like 1903, 2007, and 1601 all in the same text, you would write out the full year, because of 03, 07, and 01 getting mixed up in century.)

12. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Hi there,

I know we talked in one thread how you don't use much abbreviation in English, but I have to abbreviate the month of September. I'm not restricted to 3 letters, and Sept. looks better to me than Sep. Does it to you? Which would you choose, Sep. or Sept.?

Thank you!

13. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Hi susanna

I use Sept.

14. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    There is no choice: it is Sept.

GF..

15. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Great! Thank you both! I, too, felt, it should be Sept., but sometimes people go with only 3 letters for all months, so I saw Sep often as well. However, a dot after Sep just doesn't look right. Thank you for confirming my hunch :)

16. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    Were those three letter users native English speakers? I've can't recall ever seeing it abbreviated that way.

17. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    I used to use Sept. but nowadays, if I am going to use an abbreviation at all, I use exclusively three letter abbreviations.
    Jan
    Feb
    Mar
    Apr
    May
    Jun
    Jul
    Aug
    Sep
    Oct
    Nov
    Dec

After all if I write 10 Sep 2012, not many people will be confused*

Except perhaps for Americans who write the month first! ;) i.e. Sep(t) 10, 2012

18. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
  19. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.

This is true, however, do you think they would truly understand: "I'll be in town sometime around Sep." vs "I'll be in town sometime around Sept."
    It may be a BrE vs. AE thing, but that would just throw me off a bit when not in a true, date format.

20. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    I would, immediately and without any hesitation. :) Remove the capital S and the full stop and you might have me pause before I digest it. :D

In fact, I agree with Biffo and do the very same thing.

21. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    I can't imagine speaking such a sentence. If it was written down then I would be equally uncertain about saying ""I'll be in town sometime around Dec."

22. Hau Ruck

Hau Ruck Senior Member

United States - Midwest
    English - U.S.
    Interesting. That sentence structure (not necessarily written as an abbreviation) would be heard fairly commonly in AE. Not necessarily "proper", perhaps, but in normal usage surely.

23. susanna76 Senior Member

Romanian
    Many thanks, everyone, and thanks for the link as well (Gaer said there that Cambridge recommends Sept. -- but I can see why people would use Sep, especially without the dot).

24. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    << moderator note. Merged with previous thread on exactly the same topic. Please read the whole thread before adding anything more so that we don't have too many echoes >>