Abbreviation of "street"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Setwale_Charm, Dec 27, 2007.

1. A silly question but...Which is the more commonly adopted abbreviation of "Street": Str. or St.?
  2. dannyv Senior Member

In the US, "St." just like "saint" :)
  3. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

For what it's worth, on my London Street Atlas, it's "St" everywhere.
    Correction : it's "st" (no dot) on the map and "st." in the index.
  4. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    The usual UK abbreviation of street, the generic word, is st.
    The usual abbreviation of Street, as part of a street name, is St, as in Downing St.
    No . in either case.
  5. Thank you all. I just began to hesitate when I thought that this may be easily confused with the abbreviation for "saint".
  6. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

New York
    USA - English
    It is unlikely that they would be confused, because the abbreviation for "saint" normally precedes a proper name, and the abbreviation for "street" would follow one.

St. Lawrence = Saint Lawrence.
    Lawrence St. = Lawrence Street.

Note that AE uses a period for all abbreviations as BE once did, but modern BE no longer does.
  7. ellllli New Member

Hey, I`m sorry that I bring up again a old thread... my question is: is str correct too? Because a girl who is now learning English says both are correct and her textbook is from English authors... And I have seen str written on the magazines my father receives from US and Europe. Actually I am wondering if people keep using str even though the people who write the grammar in England say that st is the correct abbreviation ? Or maybe str is absolete? And will people understand me is I write str?
  8. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    I don't think I've ever seen str in a text written by a native speaker of English. I would say that it is incorrect.
  9. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I agree with Nunty.

I'd also say that the abbreviation needs a capital letter: 10 Downing St.

Welcome to the forums, by the way, ellllli:)
  10. ellllli New Member

Thank you, Nun-Translator and Loob ;]]
  11. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    The U.S. Post office has adopted a standardized addressing system in which "ST" (no period/full stop) is the standard reference for "street"

Other than that, "St." is the common AE usage as others have said.
  12. ajo fresco

ajo fresco Senior Member

Hi ellllli,

I don't know what part of Europe your father's magazines are from, but I have a possible explanation.

When my friends from Germany write to me, they always write "Str" out of habit, because that is the abbreviation in German (Strasse = street).

Other than that, I agree with what the others have written. "St." (AE) and "St" (BE) are used by native English speakers.

Welcome to the forums!
    Ajo Fresco