Abbreviation: YMCA

Discussion in 'English Only' started by pegaso, Jul 6, 2005.

1. pegaso Junior Member

Italy, italian , german
    Hi everybody,
    can someone explain what does Y.M.C.A mean?
    I know it was the title of a song at the 70's and it should be a kind of association ,maybe for drag addict or homeless people?Am I on the wrong path?
    Tanks for any replies
    Pegaso

2. Helicopta

Helicopta Senior Member

Kettering
    England - English (Learning Spanish)
    Hi Pegaso,
    You are on the right path. The Y.M.C.A. is a Christian organisation who aim to help young people in need. It's the Young Men's Christian Association (although I believe they help young women too!).
    See Here

3. Phryne

Phryne Senior Member

New York City
    Argieland--Esp/Eng
    Hello pegaso.

It means Young Men's Christian Association, which is a non-profit organization for people to do sports and other types of activities. In case it helps, in Spanish they are called Asociación Cristiana de Jóvenes. YMCA in wikipedia

Here's something about the song

saludos :)

4. Edwin

Edwin Senior Member

Tampa, Florida, USA
    USA / Native Language: English
    As least when I was a kid, the YMCA was only for men and boys. There is also a YWCA for women and girls: http://worldywca1.org/

5. pegaso Junior Member

Italy, italian , german
    Thanks so much to Phryne and Helicopta for your prompt help indeed.
    Pegaso

6. pegaso Junior Member

Italy, italian , german
    Many thanks ,Edwin

Pegaso

7. Kelly B

Kelly B Senior Member

USA English
    Today, our local YMCA (often referred to as simply "the Y") is basically a health club, with swim lessons, aerobics/weightlifting/yoga classes, organized sports and summer camps for children, plus after-school care for children. It retains the charitable function in that the activities are subsidized or free for those with low incomes. Women are welcome at this one, too, but that is not true for all of them (and the YWCA is exclusively for women and girls).

8. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    In addition to all the good answers above, it may be worth noting that decades ago, "The 'Y'" often provided very simple, inexpensive lodging. This was in addition to recreational facilities.

9. pegaso Junior Member

Italy, italian , german
    thanks so much,Kelly and Cuchuflete
    now all is clear
    Bye,Pegaso

10. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Ooof! You'll be telling me that the Y doesn't do accommodation any more:eek:

11. Phryne

Phryne Senior Member

New York City
    Argieland--Esp/Eng
    Hi panjandrum and Cuchu!

I know of a couple YMCA in NYC that have accommodation. They might be a strange case, who knows... rooms

saludos :)

12. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    The YMCA is the largest provider of safe, secure and affordable supported housing for young people in England. Every night, over 7,200 young people stay at a YMCA.

13. Amityville

Amityville Senior Member

France
    English UK
    They are changing with the times, and with their locations, I think. The New York Y would not have much in common with the Croydon or Grimsby one. Good for them, one branch of the Church that possibly is adapting appropriately to changing needs.

14. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    It seems that they still do...

15. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    They also do much else. Half-a-mile from my childhood:

Greenhill YMCA provides high quality local, national and international programmes in outdoor/environmental education, personal development and community relations in a safe and caring atmosphere, based around a Christian ethos”

16. vitoco2006 New Member

Chile | Spanish
    Y oung
    M en's
    C hristian
    A ssociation

Also it's called "the Y"
    YMCA, as I have understood, is a organization that promoves healthful life and sport activities and offers accommodation. That's it basically.