Abdullah, Abd Alkarim

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by jmt356, Jan 29, 2013.

1. jmt356 Senior Member

Is there a space between عبد and الله and عبد and الكريم in the following names:
    عبدالله
    عبدالكريم

2. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Yes, because they are 2 words: عبد (servant, slave, worshiper) and a name.

3. Schem

Schem Senior Member

Unaizah
    Najdi Arabic
    I don't write them with a space, they're compound names and the د doesn't connect anyway.

4. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Actually, in handwritten Arabic there is not space between words. The word division is made clear by using the final form of the last letter of each word. When I was teaching English in a school in Saudi Arabia I had a lot of difficulty convincing my pupils that they should leave a space between words in English. In printed books one does, however, tend to leave a space between words.

5. Schem

Schem Senior Member

Unaizah
    Najdi Arabic
    I don't see a reason why a space should be added even if the name is typed, names like that are considered compound names in Arabic and shouldn't have to be separated. I've never seen عبدالله or عبدالكريم typed with a space in any case. Not to mention that, if we did space them, an Arabic reader might confuse the words for an actual 'servant of God' and not a casual Abdullah.

6. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    They should be spaced, and the reader is unlikely to be confused, though spacing or not often names are placed in brackets of some sort.

7. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    I have never seen them linked :eek: Even if they're compound names, the space remains between the two words. Just like with أبو بكر، ابن خلدون، صلاح الدين ...etc.

8. jmt356 Senior Member

I believe the custom in Saudi Arabia is not to place a space, whether typed or hand written. I know a Saudi عبد الله who writes his name as عبدالله.

I would find it very confusing if spaces were not inserted between words some letters such as ر and ا do not connect to the letters following. For example:
    أنااحبّك كثيرلِأنّك كريم.
    With this sentence, it is clear that the first ك represents the last letter of a word. However, it is not clearl that the second ا is the end of a word. Based solely on the final form of the last letter (and not the meaning), the first word may be أنا, أناا or أنااحبّك.