About Thanksgiving Break

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by agvlasho, Nov 1, 2009.

1. agvlasho Member

Hi, I'm giving some background about a story, and what I'm trying to say is:
    I am speaking with my mom about Thanksgiving vacation. I report this conversation to my friend.

Here is my attempt, thanks for the help!
    Je parle avec ma mère à propos des vacances de Thanksgiving. Je rapporte cette conversation à mon amie.
  2. Albert 50 Senior Member

Montreal QC and Dallas TX
    Canada: French and English (bilingual)
    Just a couple of comments:

If you live in Canada "Thanksgiving vacation" is called "le congé de l'Action de grâce". It is usually a long week-end and most people do not go on vacation but remain home for the day. So we don't use the term "vacances" (vacation) since there is no time to leave for a vacation. "congé" refers to a couple of days when we don't work.

But if you live in Europe or the UK, you are probably better off using the term "Fête de Thanksgiving" since the day is not observed in France or by Europeans and Europeans will usually prefer that you use the English term fior the day. They won't know what "le jour de l"Action de grâce" refers to but Canadians will and this is the common term in my homeland.... So the term you use depends on the part of the world you live in.

The phrase "I report my conversation to my friend" doesn't specify whether your freind is male or female. But French makes this distinction and your translation "à mon amie" means "to my (female) friend" or "to my girl-friend". Is this what you meant to say? Or do you want to refer to a male friend? In this case, use "ami". Even then, the word "amie" or "ami" can be a little ambiguous in some parts of the French-speaking world. You might need to tell us what kind of a friend you are referring to, is he/she a buddy (UK mate), or a boy (or girl) friend, etc.

Good luck with your work.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  3. baosheng Senior Member

Canada, English
    I just wanted to confirm one point: does the term "vacances" in French always refer to "going on vacation" or can it also just refer to the time period/break? (even if one does not leave) This is my feeling, but I wanted to confirm it from a native speaker.
    Merci d'avance !
  4. carog Senior Member

England - Hampshire
    French - France
    Tout à fait : par exemple "Cette année, je passe les vacances de Pâques à la maison." "Je ne pars pas pendant les vacances."