abreviatura de Number en inglés

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by ClimbEveryMountain, Sep 28, 2012.

1. ClimbEveryMountain

ClimbEveryMountain Senior Member

Murray, KY
    Hi everyone.

In Spanish the word "Número" has a short form used in reports and documents, which is "No." Is there a short form for it in English language?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Masood

Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    You can also use No. in English.
  3. ClimbEveryMountain

ClimbEveryMountain Senior Member

Murray, KY
    Thanks, Masood.
  4. Hakuna Matata

Hakuna Matata Senior Member

Español - Argentina
    Siempre pensé que la forma correcta en español era .

¿Se usa también en inglés?
  5. Agró

Agró Senior Member

High Navarre
    Nunca he visto No. en español.

número (también n.º y nro.)
  6. Jim2996 Senior Member

Boston, MA
    American English
    Before I tell you what I think, I want to stress that I'm an American and this is what I remember seeing.

On forms and such there is sometimes 'no' (or 'No' if it is the the first or only word). Generally, there is no period after it, but styles vary. Yes, it is 'no' even though it's short for number. Who knows why?

I can't remember ever seeing it within a sentence. It's far too likely to be taken for the opposite of yes.

Sometimes number is abbreviated by a single letter, 'n'. Again, no period—unless your style is different.

The best option (?) to mean number is to use the hash mark (#,sometimes called the pound sign). This often goes with the at sign (@). This is more business or computer use. (I really want to write that this is the least-worse option—I deliberately didn't write least bad.)

Wait! I remember # is also called the number sign. You can google it for yourself.
    It's biggest advantage is that you can write it before a number without a space.
    For #332 we have ...

Of course, literary types will not like this. Why not just type out number? I see no reason except for forms and documents that have many numbers.

All of these are kind of ugly (my opinion).

Not only have I never seen in English, I have no idea how to type it. I had to copy and paste.
  7. Gabriel

Gabriel Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentina / Español
    In Spanish, we use this symbol (the little "o" as a superindex) for ordinals too: 1°, 2°, 3°...
  8. Jim2996 Senior Member

Boston, MA
    American English
    Oh, yes. If by number five you mean fifth, you can write this as '5th' (there is no period). Publications with typesetting usually write the th as a superscript, smaller and pushed up. If you haven't come across this, it's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th ... it follows the last two letters of the written-out word.

I've seen these used much more than anything I mentioned above.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  9. JeSuisSnob

JeSuisSnob really, reeelly mod!

Mexico City
    Mexican Spanish
    Por acá se usa muchísimo "No." y por lo que nos comenta Masood, quizás se haya extendido el uso en inglés a varios países americanos en los que se habla español. Si gustan seguir discutiendo en torno a esa cuestión, tenemos este hilo del foro de Sólo Español:

abreviatura de número

Un saludo.
  10. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    I (BrE) would write 'no.' (with the full stop) as an abbreviation for 'number'.
    I think the '#' sign is of much more limited (and modern) use.