Absolute Zero Measurements

Discussion in 'English Only' started by kim555, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kim555 New Member

usa
    I have to Identify a research issue, opportunity, or problem that uses data that has absolute zero measurements, and I do not understand what zero measurements means. Can anyone help?

2. fuiry

fuiry Junior Member

London
    England, English
    Well i dont know about absolute zero measurements, but i do have a definition for absolute zero.

Absolute zero:

The theoretical temperature at which substances possess no thermal energy, equal to -273.15°C, or -459.67°F

Or...

The zero point on the absolute temperature scale; -273.15°C or 0 K; theoretically, the temperature at which molecular motion ceases.

Or...

The lowest temperature theoretically attainable (at which the kinetic energy of atoms and molecules is minimal); 0 Kelvin or -273.15 Centigrade or -459.67 Fahrenheit

I know they all say pretty much the same thing, but i found so many that i couldent decide which was best. Hope I've been of help! And good luck!:)

3. Mr X Junior Member

Australia, English
    If it says the data should have absolute zero measurements, it probably means they should be in the Kelvin scale.

As Fuiry explained, 0 degrees celsius is approximately equal to 273 degrees kelvin. So if your measurements are in celsius, just add 273 to them and put a K after them and they'll be in Kelvin, or absolute zero measurements.

Hope this is helpful!!!
    Mr X.

4. SaiYanNara New Member

Khmer
    Hmm that question looks like it is straight out of Res/341 class. Well in terms of the research issue and having absolute zero measurement is that a research of something that starts at Zero (0) to Inf (...). It is something that can not go into the negatives. Cause if it goes into the negative numbers it is no longer an absolute zero measurement. My instructor gave a good example, say you have money in your wallet and you take the money away, you would have zero. There is no way for the money in your wallet to be in a negative status because it is impossible to have negative amount of money in your wallet. This would be an absolute zero measurement.

I hope this helps to clarify up some things.

5. Diskfly69 New Member

English United Sates
    SaiYanNara,
    I thought the same thing about Res/341...only because I AM currently in Res/341 and am working on that very assignment! Your post is a BIG help...Thanks!

6. Cracker Jack Senior Member

The absolute zero temperature which has a numerical value of - 273.16ºK is as previously stated the thermal point at which no molecular motion is possible, therefore at this temperature, no thermal energy is produced.

Aside from the fact that it signifies a mathematical value, it is also used as reference point in doing some calculations. It is not possible to do computations using the 0 degree reference value in Celsius scale because the product will always be 0.

However, with the use of the absolute zero reference value, it would be more informative in calculating values which require temperature below zero like in Laws of Gases or some other laws that utilize value constant like specific heat, latent heat of fusion or latent heat of vaporization, etc....

Hope this helps.

7. Brioche

Brioche Senior Member

Adelaide
    Australia English
    Nitpick! Nitpick!

You say 10 degrees Fahrenheit [10ºF] or 10 degrees Celsius [10ºC]
    but with Kelvin, there's no 'degrees' or º symbol. Just ten Kelvin [10 K].

8. Cracker Jack Senior Member

You are absolutely right Brioche. There is no degrees in Kelvin. I stand corrected. I got it mixed up with Rankine which goes with ºR which I should have mentioned too. Anyway, thanks for the correction.

9. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I had a moment of curiousity.
    I wondered if "absolute zero measurement" had to be related to temperature, or could it also be related to any other thing-to-be-measured?
    So off I went to Google "absolute zero measurement", and rather to my surprise it came up with about 100 hits. Apart from the first link, to this thread, most of these are gobbledygook to me. So I wondered why? AHA! - Absolute Zero walks a fine line between thrash metal and death metal, ...
    Enough said:eek:

10. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I think they are referring (not very clearly) to absolute scales of measurement. Do a web search for "scales of measurement", and you should find many pages that explain this. Absolute scales are also called ratio scales.

11. nycphotography

nycphotography Senior Member

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    Ahhh. Want to know WHY that is? People are "gaming google" to get their garbage pages up to the top of the search results.

Why did they do it with THIS phrase? Who knows, but you can bet there's money involved somewhere.

AHH!!! THAT'S WHY. Looking closer, I see that they all point to sites that require "ActiveX controls".

SPYWARE and VIRII, oh my!

Here's an interesting reference to it (that I found by accident looking for a list of songs on a soundtrack): It's a great surprise to go to a movie with absolute zero Kelvin expectations and be completely blown away.

Pick the first result (the link to the single boob branded bookseller) It's in the reviews part.

12. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    SaiYanNara got some things wrong, though. Absolute scales can have negative values. For example, the m/s scale for velocities is absolute, and a velocity can be negative.

13. nycphotography

nycphotography Senior Member

I do be learnin stuff
    John-Paul Miller, NYC
    Technically, a velocity can't be negative, but a velocity vector can have a negative sign (direction). Or some such. I think. Maybe.

14. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    I think, being pedantic, which is dangerous when I only think, that speed is scalar, and therefore cannot be negative; velocity is vector, and therefore can be negative.

15. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Technically, velocity is a vector. :)

Scalars can be negative. It's absolute values that cannot. Speed is an absolute value; that's why it can't be negative.

16. acoterillo New Member

English, USA
    Hi! How funny, I am in RES/341, working on the same assignment. The above post does help. So what issue did you end up using? Would personnel attendance work? You cannot be at the office a negative number of days.

Thanks!!

acoterillo

17. lamayhorn New Member

English
    OK, I am working on a problem reguarding Absolute Zero Measurements and i am wondering how can i intergrate Absolute Zero Measurements with newspaper readership, of if it is possible at all... Can anyone help. I need 5-7 Absolute Zero Measurements...

18. lamayhorn New Member

English
    As everyone else, i am taking RES/341 and need to identify issues, opportunity, or problems that uses a data set consisting of al least 5-7 Absolute Zero Measurements

19. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    Welcome to WordReference, lamayhorn, but please bear in mind that these forums are for study of language and language issues, not for discussion of problems in RES/341.
    Panjandrum
    (Moderator)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.