abunai mono wa okanai you ni shinai to na

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by Kubuss, May 14, 2009.

1. Kubuss New Member

Dutch
    I'm not sure about this sentence. I'm not even sure if I'm hearing it right o_O.

Mom and dad are talking about dangerous stuff for their cat, like detergent, poisonous plants, stuff like that. And than the dad says this "Chi ni abunai mono wa, okanai you ni shinai to na." (Chi = the cat)

I'm really confused. I can't even find the exact meaning of okanai, even though I've seen it used in other places (lyrics for example). So maybe I got the "okanai" even wrong, even though I'm almost sure that that is what they're saying.

Does anyone have an idea?

2. Kubuss New Member

Dutch
    Ok so far I've found out that okanai is the negative form for oku (that took me a very long time to figure out >_>). And oku means "to put".

So the translation would be along the lines of "We have to make sure we don't put these dangerous things [near] Chi"?

I'm still a bit confused. They don't mention where to put these dangerous things. It's literally "Things dangerous to Chi, make sure not to place them". Is this normal in Japanese? That they don't specify where to place these things?

edit: Oh crap, I accidentally doubleposted. So sorry! ;_; I really didn't mean to!

3. Wishfull Senior Member

jp
    Hi.
    You are right. Probably you're going to reach the right answer soon, by yourself.:)
    Okanai is negative form of oku.

Your next question's answer is that "in our house" is abbreviated in this sentence. Japanese prefer to abbreviate many things, not only "watashi wa".

I think at the last portion of the sentence, there is another abbreviation between "shinai to" and "na".

For example;
    Chi ni abunaimono wa(wo), watashitachi no uchini ni okanai youni shinai to dameda yo na.

(It will be our fatal mistake ) unless we make sure not to put things which are dangerous to Chi, in our house.
    or
    (We would be very rude) unless we.......
    or
    (Chi would be injured) unless we.......

The abbreviation portion have many interpretations. How to interpretate depends on listner.
    Japanese language tends to remain many interpretations. Unassertive.
    It is Japanese culture.

If you can learn this unassertiveness of Japanese language very well, you will be able to become polititian, Japanese Prime Minister, in next election.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  4. Flaminius

Flaminius coclea mod

capita Iaponiae
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    Just like put, oku is a simple word with many meanings. In the context you have indicated it means store/have [in the house].

An example of this store/have this sense is (a question to a shop clerk):
    ここにDVDはおいていますか。
    Do you have DVDs in here?

おく here means having DVDs availabe in the store for customers to buy.

One of the reasons おく is not the simple "to put" is that neither the text nor the context mention where exactly those dangerous objects are put. This allows one to understand the place in the widest possible sense. That is, in my opinion, their apartment.

5. Kubuss New Member

Dutch
    Thank you very much for your responses! I went with something along the lines of "We'll have to be careful not to leave dangerous things around". (so the line wouldn't get too long either).

I've learned a lot thanks to you! I didn't know that おく had so many uses.

Last edited: May 22, 2009