Accent/Stress troubles

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by ullala, May 7, 2013.

1. ullala New Member

Hi everyone,<BR>I find it hard to know where to put the stresses on words. How can you know where the stress will go, surely there is a more effective way than learning the stress patterns for every single word (I've noticed a lot of them change with number, case, etc. which only makes it worse)<BR>So, is there a way of getting a feel for where the stress will go so I prononce it correctly? Also, in modern Greek, are stress marks often&nbsp;ommited in writing or are they still generally adhered to?<BR>Thanks
  2. sotos Senior Member

Firstly you must learn the accent of the dictionary form of the words. The good news is that (unlike french) greek words are accented in written as accented in oral. If you know the dictionary form or the spoken form, then there are some rules (which seem complicated to non-greeks) for the other forms. If you are at loss, you can write without accents. This is not exactly correct in formal texts but is passable for unofficial cases.
  3. Live2Learn Senior Member

English - USA
    This is not going to be the answer that you probably want, but, well, think of English: How does someone learning English know which syllable is stressed: thirty vs. thirteen, sometimes vs. today, infamous vs. instructive. There are even differences between varieties of English, e.g. adverTISEment vs. adVERtisement. At least in Greek the stress is indicated in writing. There are some rules, e.g., the stress on -άκι, e.g. φορεματάκι, Κολωνάκι, κοριτσάκι, but in general I think it's probably just easier to learn where the stress falls when you learn the word.