according to Grimm

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by fdb, Dec 8, 2012.

1. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I have noticed that it is customary in this forum, and in other fora on this site, to say things like “Grimm says” or “according to Grimm” even when referring to one of the many volumes of the Deutsches Wörterbuch that were written a century or more after the demise of its initiators, Wilhelm and Jacob Grimm. Am I being too pedantic when I think that this is wrong? Can we not simply write “the DWB says” and “according to the DWB”? And why, by the way, “according to Grimm” when there were actually two Grimms? We do say “der Duden sagt” and not merely “Duden sagt” when referring to the references works founded by Konrad Duden, but continued by others. How about abandoning this usage, nunc et in omnia saecula saeculorum?

2. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    How about not doing it. It is quite customary to identify the oeuvre by the name of its author.

3. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Yes, but neither Grimm is the author of the great majority of the volumes.

4. exgerman Senior Member

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    Think of Grimm as the short-title name of the book, not as a person.

5. berndf Moderator

Geneva
    German (Germany)
    Grimm is the name that appears on the front page and under which it is entered into libraries' catalogues. And that's what counts. When you talk about the Éléments de Mathematique you also say Bourbaki wrote or Bourbaki said even though everybody knows Bourbaki wasn't even a person and when I look up a formula I use the 1993 completely revised edition of the Bronstein though Bronstein died in 1976.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  6. Gernot Back

Gernot Back Senior Member

Cologne, Germany
    German - Germany
    I think Pierre Larousse and Paul Robert were'nt even that petits any more, when they initiated their dictionaries.;)

7. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Larousse and Robert are not authors, but publishing houses. And besides, we say "le Larousse dit", not "Larousse dit".