account director vs. account manager

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by entrapta, Nov 27, 2009.

1. entrapta

entrapta Senior Member

Bologna
    Italian
    In the advertising industry I found the word "account manager" and "account director"; the latter is translated as "direttore servizio clienti"; does the same apply to "manager"? Are they basically the same thing? Or should I say "responsabile"?

: advertising
  2. k_georgiadis

k_georgiadis Senior Member

NJ, USA
    English (AE)
    Generally speaking the Account Director will be a higher position, either because he supervises the Account Managers (perhaps all of them) or because they wanted to give their only Account Manager a title and more money. Another frequent occurrence is that the Account Manager who is responsible for the company's largest customers is promoted to Director, if only to communicate to those key customers how valuable they are.

3. King Crimson

King Crimson Senior Member

Milano, Italia
    Italiano
    Manager is a very generic term so, unless you have a job description or an organization chart, it's very difficult to tell which one, between "responsabile" or "direttore", is more appropriate as a translation.

P.S. why not leave it as "manager"?

4. entrapta

entrapta Senior Member

Bologna
    Italian
    There's also the accont executive to make things more complicated ;) Well since the book talks about various firms (I don't think it ever uses the term account director but if it does I'll keep in mind what you said) and it's not possible to know the hierarchy of each one of them I guess I'm entitled to translate either responsabile or direttore...

5. k_georgiadis

k_georgiadis Senior Member

NJ, USA
    English (AE)
    I think that is right.

6. anbetophillip New Member

English - American
    Hi every body

We can find this info by using search box in the top of website

or use term: keywords site:abc.com at Google.com. Google is everything.

Best regards