1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

achy pain, sharp pain, shooting pain

Discussion in 'Medical Terminology' started by taylor11, Oct 31, 2007.

1. taylor11 New Member

United States, English
    Hi,
    I am trying to double check specific medical vocabulary.

How would you ask a patient to describe their pain in a doctors office.

The specific question to translate is:

"How do you describe the pain- is it an achy pain, sharp pain, shooting pain?"

Thank you.

2. Tezzaluna

Tezzaluna Senior Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
    US English and Costa Rica Spanish
    Hi Taylor.

Welcome to the forum.

Before we can help you, we need to see your attempt at the translation. Then we can all jump in and correct mistakes, if any.

Tezza

3. perikita Senior Member

Mexico
    México-Español
    Ok taylor11, just for being this your first thread...

¿Cómo describe su dolor, continuo, agudo o punzante?

I´m not a doctor nor a nurse, so I'm not sure if these are the exactly terms they would use, but it may help, hope somebody will give you more options :)

Suerte y bienvenido.

Keep in mind that you should make a first try when you need a translation ;)

4. taylor11 New Member

United States, English
    Thank you for your thoughts. I didn't realize i was supposed to include my initial attempt at translation and will from now on.

The one I was having the most trouble with was achy. translations of ache i found were "dolor" so i couldn't figure out how to make it an adjective. does continuo give the impression that it is a "continuous" pain? (to ask if it is a continuous pain would I use the same word?) My initial thought is that I would.

Thanks again.

5. amydafig Senior Member

USA
    Spanish-English U.S.A.
    For "achy" I use "adolorido" or "dolencia" and not as an adjective to the word for pain. Continuous is not the same.

For "shooting pain" you can try "dolor que se dispara/difunde". "Punzante" means "stabbing" and is used as another descriptor.