1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

acknowledge vs admit

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by gothicpartner, Apr 1, 2007.

1. gothicpartner

gothicpartner Senior Member

Bruges
    Spanish
    En el diccionario a veces se les traduce al español como reconocer, admitir

por ejemplo:
    she doesn't want to admit that she's poor of hearing=no quiere reconocer que oye mal
    she is acknowledged as the best painter in the country, es considerada/reconocida como la mejor pintora del país

en qué se diferencian estos dos verbos..?? hay una explicación en otro hilo, pero no entiendo muy bien..!

When should I use "admit" instead of "acknowledge"??

Some examples would be helpful

thanks in advance!

2. WongFeiHung

WongFeiHung Senior Member

USA English
    I think "admit" is more apologetic, and a little deeper meaning
    You can "acknowledge" a fact, as in recognize that it exists, but you can't really "admit" a fact, because it's a fact!

Some examples:
    She admits she has a drinking problem -She realizes she has a problem, and is probably inclined to seek help (not in all cases, but most likely)
    She acknowledges that she has a drinking problem - Here, it's sort of like she's indifferent to the fact that she does, she doesn't care, like "so what?"
    He admited (that) he screwed up - He takes full responsibility, probably a categorically worse error in this case, probably on his way to repair it
    He acknowledged the fact the he screwed up - Here it's not as deep, either because it wasn't a big mistake or because he doesn't care that he did make one. No insinuation of trying to make amends

The differences are very subtle, but I hope I made things a little clearer!