Act That Way / Live Up To It (Fulfilling A Promise)

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by RhoKappa, May 9, 2013.

1. RhoKappa Senior Member

California
    Standard American English
    These are common English expressions. These two phrases means to do what one promises or says. For example, a girl tells a boy that she wants to marry him, but he complains to his friend that she is not consistent with her words. He tells his friend, "She says she wants to marry me, but because she is flirting with other men she is not acting that way." The idiom "live up to it" would be interchangeable: "She says she wants to marry me, but she is not living up to it." Как сказать по-русски?

2. egorca New Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    "по ней не скажешь" fits good in here. In Russian that means the way the one does/think doesn't correlate with the way the one looks or behave, and vice versa. Literally it is like "I won't tell so because of one's behavior/looking/doing".

Your phrases could be translated as: "Она говорит, что хочет выйти за меня, но по ней этого не скажешь."

3. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    First, I do not think "act that way" and "live up to" are intercangeable.

In Russian there are no direct equivalents.

Live up to..., depending on the context could be оправдать (e.g. ожидания).

Act that way also depends on the context. For example, "She says she wants to marry me, [...] she is not acting that way" - could be она твердит, что хочет за меня замуж, но [ ...] её действия говорят об обратном.

4. RhoKappa Senior Member

California
    Standard American English
    I can see a very fine distinction between the two. Basically, the two idioms mean that actions are not consistent with one's words. In the scenario stated in the opening post, we can imagine this scenario: the man conftonts his woman and accuses her of playing around: "You say you want to marry me, but you don't act that way." I don't see a difference between that and "If you say you want to marry me, you should live up to it." There must be a Russian equivalent.

5. Ёж! Senior Member

Русский
    First, there is one very important rule: languages must not share equivalent notions and expressions: people can think of notions that they do not have words for. Rather it works on the contrary: if a language has a word to express a notion, then one can be almost sure another language, rather different from the first, does not have such a word, it has other words and expressions instead. :) Indeed, notions people can think of are much more numerous than words people pronounce.

Now, to the girl. A smooth way to say might be this: "Она говорит, что хочет выйти за меня, а по ней не скажешь" like Egorka said. And if you're talking to the girl, then: "Ты говоришь, что хочешь выйти за меня, но ведёшь себя совсем по-другому". The first phrase has irony that is not pertinent to the second situation (unless you want to laugh at her); the second phrase expresses a reproach, and (usually) it is not good to talk reproachfully to your friend who is not guilty of anything, it could be considered annoying. So, at least two possibilities (there are more, I think). It's up to you how to use them. ;)