actividad primaria, actividad secundaria, actividad terciaria

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by joindrepay, Feb 27, 2009.

1. joindrepay Junior Member

mexico, spanish
    Hello members,

I do not know how to say in English actividad primaria, secundaria y terciaria. These words are related to economic activities that people practice in a country. I am looking them up in different dictionaries but I have not found any equivalence in English yet.

I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance

2. jackaustralia Senior Member

Australia English
    Is this what a particular person's principle source of income is or other non paid work. Or is it what are the most common industries in a country. I think you mean the first one but I want to be sure.
  3. Universo ameba Senior Member

Spanish - spain
    primaria: agriculture
    secundaria: industrie
    terciaria: services
  4. joindrepay Junior Member

mexico, spanish
    Let me explain it again.

I teach Geography and there is a topic which is about economic areas and social inequalities. Within this topic, we need to know a set of terminology related to sector of economy AKA service sector. In Spanish is actividad primaria(raw materials), actividad secundaria (manufactured products) and actividad terciaria (distribution, transportation of the manufactured products).

With regard to your comment I think my topic relates to the former

I hope this is clearer!

5. jackaustralia Senior Member

Australia English
    Hi. I don't know of any direct translation into English and I think you would have to explain the different categories of industries. I don't have a strong Geographic background so I am probably not the best person to answer this question. A division in terms of agriculture, industry/manufacturing and services/transportation (and maybe logistics as well?) could be a good way of categorising it.
  6. Lis48

Lis48 Senior Member

York, England
    English - British
  7. jackaustralia Senior Member

Australia English
    OK thanks Lis48. Like I said I am pretty ignorant in this area and could do with a lesson from all of you!
  8. joindrepay Junior Member

mexico, spanish
    Thanks a lot to the two members who helped me and saved my life ( I am not exaggerating).

We will keep on touch

9. i.sanchez

i.sanchez Junior Member

what a demanding students!!!! :)