1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ad hoc task

Discussion in 'English Only' started by GusVin, Dec 16, 2006.

1. GusVin Junior Member

Portuguese
    Could someone help me understand the meaning of "ad hoc task" in the sentence below... :)

"Identification of entities and value types in your domain model isn’t an ad hoc task but follows a certain procedure."​

thanks in advance.

regards.

2. bouncy.bouncy Senior Member

WA, USA
    American/British English
  3. ash93

ash93 Senior Member

London
    England, United Kingdom - English but can speak Urdu, Memon and Hindi
    "Identification of entities and value types in your domain model isn’t for this particular purpose but follows a certain procedure."

Is the way I understand it.

4. mjscott Senior Member

An ad hoc committee is usually formed to complete a specific task, and then be no more, once the task has been completed. Some times, ad hoc committees will make up their own rules--rules they believe will expedite the completion of the task. The person writing this is saying that this is not an ad hoc task--it is one that already has guidelines that must be followed.

5. Vikorr Senior Member

Australia, English
    Ad Hoc = all over the place

In terms of a task, it means you aren't following a set procedure

In terms of business, it means your focus wonders from new idea to other idea to different idea etc etc (ie. you don't have a core business)

If you were 'forming a committee', it would mean that you chose people without thought for their qualifications or suitability.

6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I suspect that "ad hoc task" may have a very specific meaning in this context.

7. ash93

ash93 Senior Member

London
    England, United Kingdom - English but can speak Urdu, Memon and Hindi
    Maybe these translations would help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hoc

If we assume that these are right, all of the replies that everyone has submitted are correct as it has different meanings and context.