ad huius doctrinae expositionem intendentes

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Diadem, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Diadem Senior Member

USA (English)
    From the Summa Theologiae of Thomas Aquinas, First Part, Question 2.

Quia igitur principalis intentio huius sacrae doctrinae est Dei cognitionem tradere, et non solum secundum quod in se est, sed etiam secundum quod est principium rerum et finis earum, et specialiter rationalis creaturae, ut ex dictis est manifestum; ad huius doctrinae expositionem intendentes, primo tractabimus de Deo; secundo, de motu rationalis creaturae in Deum; tertio, de Christo, qui, secundum quod homo, via est nobis tendendi in Deum.

Therefore, because the principal intent of this sacred doctrine is to teach the knowledge of God, and not only according as He exists in Himself, but also according as He is the beginning of things and their end, and especially of rational creatures, as is manifest from what has been already said, ........... exposition of this doctrine ................ , first, we shall treat of God; second, of the rational creature's motion towards God; third, of Christ, who, according as he is man, is our way to be stretched out to God.

What is the meaning of the bold-faced phrase?

expositionem huius doctrinae = exposition of this doctrine

But, how does the preposition ad and the partciple intendentes affect the translation?
  2. Fred_C

Fred_C Senior Member

«In our intent to expose this doctrine, we will first treat of God,...»
    literally : we who intend to expose...
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  3. Diadem Senior Member

USA (English)
    I noticed you translated expositionem as the infinitive "to expose." Could you explain your reasoning?

I translated it as, "...attending to the exposition of this doctrine..." Is this possible? Basically, it's like they now turn their attention to the exposition of the sacred doctrine. Then Aquinas tells them that "we will first treat of...."

Or, I was thinking, often present participles can be translated as "while + present tense, indicative." So, it could be translated as, "While we attend to the exposition of this doctrine, we shall first treat of..."
  4. Fred_C

Fred_C Senior Member

There was no particular rationale.
    My English is poor. I am often unsure whether a particular wording is absolutely correct or not. I wrote the first sentence that I deemed correct and not offputting.