Ad + Locations

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by Darunia, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Darunia Senior Member

Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    English-United States
    Hello!

My question is, how would I latinize non-Latin place names, and how would I use them in conjunction with certain prepositions?

Like "to Boston" is "Ad Bostoniam" but how would I say " To Plymouth" or, specifically, "to Middleborough?" How can these names be Latinized? And would they then be declined into the accusative case? What would this look like--? "Ad Plymouthiam?" and "ad Middleboroughiam?"

Thank you!

2. Casquilho Senior Member

São Paulo, Brazil
    Portuguese - Brazil
    Hi Darunia,
    look at this: http://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usor:Iustinus/Translator's_Guide
    You'll see that when dealing with names of cities and small islands the ad is omitted.
    The preposition ad rules the accusative case, always.
    About Latinizing these names, I'd suggest to look for their pages in Vicipaedia.

3. jrundin Senior Member

USA, English
    First off, "ad" is generally not used with places. In Latin, "in" + acc. is used.
    "Ad" means toward but not into.

If I go "ad Italiam," that means I go towards "Italy" but not into it. I stop at the border.
    If I go "in Italiam," that means I go into Italy, which is generally what you mean when you say "to Italy" in English.

(You DO use "ad" with people, however, since you generally go towards people without actually entering them).

That being said, Caquilho is correct. Special forms without prepositions are used for towns. Most modern cities
    do have standard Latin names now, and you need to look them up someplace.