1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Ad nauseam

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by 涼宮, Sep 11, 2012.

1. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    Hello!

This is an interesting Latin expression that I wonder if there are some other languages that use it. How do you say ad nauseam (adv.) [æd ˈnɔːzɪˌæm] in your language?

It means: to a disgusting or ridiculous degree; to the point of nausea.

For instance:

The matter was discussed ad nauseam.

In Spanish the Latin expression can be used but it's rare. A more common way to say it would be ''hasta hartarse'' (to get fed up)

El asunto se discutió hasta que se hartaron del mismo/se discutió hasta el cansancio.

Personally I prefer the Latin expression, though. :D

In Japanese there isn't something that colorful, you'd say 嫌になるほど iya ni naru hodo, which means something like ''to the extent of becoming detestable''.

問題が嫌になるほど話し合われた mondai ga iya ni naru hodo hanashi awareta.

2. mataripis Senior Member

Tagalog: Alangang ayunan

3. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Hi Suzumiya,

In Greek we mostly use the fossilized expression from Ancient Greek «κατά κόρον*» [ka'ta 'koron] --> to the surfeit [of it]. A more modern approach (and a colloquialism) to the Latin expression is «μέχρι αηδίας**» ['mexri ai'ðias] --> to the point of disgust

* Masculine noun «κόρος» ['koros], a Classical noun «κόρος» 'kŏrŏs --> satiety, surfeit from PIE base *ker-, to grow (cf. Lat. Cerēs, Roman goddess of agriculture; Lat. crēscere, to rise, grow > Fr. croître; Eng. cereal).

** Modern Greek feminine noun «αηδία» [ai'ðia], an ancient noun «ἀηδία» ăē'dīă --> nauseousness, unpleasantness, in Modern Greek, disgust; compound, privative prefix «α-» + neut. noun «ἧδος» hēdŏs --> delight, pleasure from PIE *sweh₂d-, sweet (cf. Skt. स्वादु (svadu), sweet; Lat. suāvis > Fr. suave; Ger. süß)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  4. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Well, you have something similar in AE: "shop till you drop" or "dance till you die". I think "till you drop" might be a close equivalent. It makes me sick -- would be another expression. It may also mean something else in another context, but it may fit here as well.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  5. OneStroke Senior Member

Hong Kong, China
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)
    (Verb) 到嘔 (until [one] vomits) is used very commonly in Cantonese. For example, if a light is too bright, you can say it's 光到嘔 (so bright that it vomits).

6. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    In Russian the expression is not used as often as in AE, but if it is used, it is pronounced as [ad nozium]; in writing it is spelled in Latin characters.

Otherwise we say до посинения [do posineniya] - untill blueness (the meaning is very similar to the AE expression "untill you're blue in the face").

7. rayloom Senior Member

Paris, France
    Arabic (Hijazi Arabic)
    In Arabic we use حد القرف ḥadda 'l-qaraf: to the point of disgust.

8. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    We don't use the Latin expression in Hungarian and I would say that it cannot even be translated the same way for all situations it could be used e.g. in English.

9. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: tot vervelens toe ---> towards boring (towards us getting bored).

10. koriroxx New Member

MI, USA
    English - America
    In Japanese I feel like 嫌になるほど is right, but the verb going along with it should probably be in the conjugation −すぎる because ad nauseam implies "too much" of something.

問題が嫌になるほど話し合われた -> 問題が嫌になるほど話し合われすぎた

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  11. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Prague
    Hungarian
    How about a simple: hányásig