1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

ad-supported web site

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by helenita230, Dec 4, 2007.

1. helenita230 Senior Member

france
    bonjour,

que veut dire en français add-supported web site , on parle du site Marketwatch.com qui est un des plus grands add-supported web site sur internet

merci pour votre aide

2. Franglais1969

Franglais1969 Senior Member

Angleterre.
    English English, français rouillé
    Bonsoir,

I think you will find it should be ad, where the ad is short for advertisements.

Hope that helps. :)

3. helenita230 Senior Member

france
    oui je me suis trompé c "ad" mais je ne sais pas justement comment est-ce que l'on dit en francais enfin le terme usité est-ce "site de support publicitaire"?

4. Franglais1969

Angleterre.
    That seems correct to me. :)

5. smallseb Senior Member

Annecy, France
    Français - France
    ne serai-ce pas l'inverse?
    un ad-supported website serait un site qui est financé par la publicité et non un site qui fait ou un "site de support publicitaire?

6. helenita230 Senior Member

france
    mmmmm je comprends pas bien ne s'agit-il pas d'un site où beaucoup d'annonceurs y placent leur publicité, donc ca leur rapporte de l'argent à ces ad-supported web site?

7. Franglais1969

Angleterre.
    Well maybe I misunderstood the French usage here. I took it to mean that the site is supported by ads. I apologise for the confusion, but since no French natives were jumping in to help, I tried to help the best way I could.

You are probably correct,smallseb.

8. smallseb Senior Member

Annecy, France
    Français - France
    Sorry, i wasn't here before, and just log-in... the reason why...
    Anyway, I think that an ad supported website is the websit which gain money by putting ads on it.

9. Franglais1969

Angleterre.

I disagree. I read an ad-supported website as one that is free for the user to use, because the company that hosts the site places ads on it, instead of asking you to pay. This is common with personal websites.

I may be wrong, but that is how I understand it.